Sunday, December 03, 2006

"F" Author-Based A ~ Z Reads

HELL AT THE BREECH
Tom Franklin
Personal Rating: 5/5





Wow! My mind is still whirling from this extraordinary book. My "thanks" go out to Suziqoregon from
Blogging My Books who gave me the recommendation and now I pass the recommendation on to you.

I am not one to venture too far from home and expect to enjoy the ride, but on this trip I was transported to Alabama, 1897 and loved every minute of it. I find it very awkward to say that I "loved" this book when it was filled with brutality and raw emotions, but it was a fascinating read, one that I wouldn't have thought could draw me in.

Here's an excerpt from the jacket:

Based on incidents that occurred a few miles from the author's childhood home, HELL AT THE BREECH chronicles the dark events of dark days, events that lead the people involved to discover their capacity for good, for evil, or for both. It is a mesmerizing and unforgettable display of talent by a writer of immeasurable gifts.

I agree wholeheartedly! Wow!

9 comments:

  1. Oh - I'm so glad you loved this one. It's a tough book to recommend, because it's such a brutal story, but the writing is so amazing I have to rave about it. It's definitely one of the all time best books I've ever read.

    Glad the last couple I've recommended have been successes. Both of them were originally recommended to me by The Surly Bookseller at http://thesurlybookseller.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzi ~ Crud, I forgot to mention you in my post. I was literally whirling when I wrote it up. I will go back and edit it. Sorry.

    Yes...the last TWO were definitely successes, but there have been others as well. THANK YOU! :)

    Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need to name me on your post - I'm just glad you liked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzi ~ I know, but I honestly planned on it and forgot. :(

    I'm really surprised at myself for liking it so much. It just doesn't seem like my kind of genre in many respects, but it was excellent. I am passing it on to my husband now. He said he'll pick it up after he finishes THE BOOK THIEF.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I added it to my list even though it doesn't sound so great. The fact that you two raved about it is good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy, I just read your comment about having trouble with Bellezza's blog. Went over to check it out. It came up okay for me. Maybe there was a temporary glitch when you tried it. Try it again. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Booklogged ~ I couldn't get it to work for several days. All is well now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:38 PM

    I've had this one on my wish list for awhile and had gotten a little "eh" about seeing it there. Thanks to this post, I'll definitely be including it in my next order.

    :)

    Susan at pages turned (blogger won't let me sign in)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan ~ It was an unexpected excellent book for me. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!