Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Classics Challenge #2/5

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S
Truman Capote
Personal Rating: 3.25/5
Yearly Count: 3



I have been ruminating over the word "classic" and I still don't have a handle on it. I quite clearly understand the meaning of "classic", but how a book actually becomes one is beyond me. Who decides? How does it happen? Why some and not others?

The only logical explanation I can surmise is that the book must be so innovative for the era in which it's published that the 'wow-factor' the book receives gets passed on through the generations. Maybe the author's style is so revolutionary or unique (fresh, timeless, beautiful, sound, etc.) that many readers develop a deep connection with a character or just become so engaged with the story that it becomes a favorite. I can't imagine that it's that easy ... favorite = classic?

Regarding this classic, I really don't have much to say...I kind of liked one of the characters; Capote's writing style was very descriptive, yet he didn't overuse words, which was appreciated; the storyline was just okay; ultimately...no great shakes. So, whatever.

On another note, when I posted my thoughts about
LOLITA I mentioned how that name often appears out of the blue. Well...after I finished BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, I read its dust jacket...it appeared again! Here's the pertinent portion:

"...Holly Golightly as "the hottest kitten ever to hit the typewriter keys of Truman Capote. She's a cross between a grown-up Lolita and a teen-age Aunti Mame..."

This time I knew Lolita. But who's Aunti Mame?

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:16 PM

    I wonder about the whole idea of "classics" too, Joy. Some of the so called classics I have really not enjoyed and wondered "Who are the people that put this work into a category like 'classic'?"

    I think a true classic is probably one that stands the test of time...yes, it may have been innovative or timely when it was published, but somehow it keeps resonating through the generations. Jane Austen's books are like that...they are universally loved no matter what year they are read in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auntie Mame is from a novel by Patrick Dennis. She is a vivacious older woman who suddenly finds herself in charge of her young nephew. The novel was adapted into the the Broadway and movie musical "Mame" .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy ~ Sounds like we are on the same page. :)

    Ex Libris ~ I never saw the musical Mame, but now that you mention it, I recognize it. The "Aunti" part must have thrown me. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend agree with you, Joy, that a classic will introduce us to something new. If you want to talk about a young girl who inspires inappropriate lust, you say the name Lolita. If you want to invoke the image of a outwardly carefree young woman who is sort of sad on the inside you say the name Holly Golightly. These characters stay in our collective memories and in our culture long after the author dies. I think that's a pretty good indication that a book is classic.

    I haven't read this one yet, but I'll get around to it eventually. The movie was good enough for me (who doesn't love Audrey Hepburn?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy, look at you go! I was hoping to hear high raves about Capote. I've never read anything, but I'd like to so was hoping I would enjoy it. The whole classics questions has me confounded, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kookie ~ I never saw the movie.

    Booklogged ~ IN COLD BLOOD is supposed to be excellent and obviously, most people think this one is quite good too. To me...no big deal. However, I really liked the movie Capote. That was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've also never read Capote, but am remotely interested in this one. I'm not sure if I'll tackle it or In Cold Blood first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another movie that I didn't know was taken from a book. I must not being paying attention. If I read this, will I continually see Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Auntie Mame is a great story! It's a little vulgar in places, but very fun in others. (It's certainly not a classic, though, so you might want to just go with the movie. It has Rosalind Russell in it and is quite hysterical at times.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:04 AM

    I'm sorry to hear you didn't like this one more. Breakfast at Tiffany's was one of my favorite books of last year.

    I to, am baffled by the many, and varied, definitions of a classic. To me, it is books that are timeless, transcending the era and time period they were written in; continuing to appeal each new generation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennifer ~ I would go with IN COLD BLOOD. :) I actually saw the movie Capote and it was good. This one was a quick read though, you might like that.

    Framed ~ I never saw the movie! LOL

    Blfox ~ Hmmm, I may check into that. Thanks.

    Alisia ~ I just don't cut it as a classic reader. I'm really glad that it was a favorite for you though. I did rate it a little above "just okay". :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!