Sunday, February 04, 2007

WHAT GREAT TEACHERS DO DIFFERENTLY
Todd Whitaker
Personal Rating: 4.5/5
Yearly Count: 9




No matter how you say it...doing what's best for students is the GREAT thing to do. In this book, Mr. Whitaker shares his findings from studies that examine what effective teachers and schools look like. What I found interesting was not necessarily the results, but the point he makes about studying "effective" teachers and schools versus "ineffective". It's as simple as the results, but not always easy to do or find. Mr. Whitaker shares that...

"We often hear that we can learn from anyone. From effective people we learn what to do; from ineffective people, we learn what not to do. Although this advice contains a grain of truth, think about it: How much can we really learn from an ineffective teacher or leader? We already know plenty of what not to do. We don't need to visit an ineffective teacher's classroom to learn this. But we can always reap good ideas from successful educators."

Personally, I love to observe those that are successful; yet unfortunately, schedules, teacher preferences, accessibility, etc. are hindrances to that process.

This proved to be a very good read and I look forward to reading another book by Whitaker entitled WHAT GREAT PRINCIPALS DO DIFFERENTLY.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:05 PM

    This books sounds very interesting. So my plea to my dad that I be the Example of What Not To Do wouldn't have been all that effective anyway? Interesting premise!

    I'm pretty sure I tried to comment on this when Blogger was refusing to display the letters in the word verification box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great book for our teachers. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:14 PM

    I definitely have to buy a copy of this for my brother, who just became a teacher.

    And I must add that you are incredibly sweet! I really can't say it enough! You can't imagine how I feel when I read your sincere comments on my blog. Your friends & family are very lucky to have you in their lives!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie K. ~ LOL

    Maggie ~ It's my understanding that he travels around to school districts and is very good. Also, he has written several books.

    Amelia ~ I think it would be very helpful to any teacher, but perfect for a newbie! There are so many good books out there for teachers, but one that really touched my heart (and ultimately children's) is THE SPIRIT WHISPERERS (Moorman). "Spirit" meaning the voice within, not necessarily "spirituality". I don't have a post on it because I read it a couple of months before I started my blog. Anyway, it is a very personable and inspiring read. I highly recommend it.

    The feeling is mutual. Your comment brought tears to my eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tthink I might pick this up! I start my teaching career next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be_Zen8 ~ Did you see my recommendation to Amelia? You should look into that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the recommendation! I put it on my wishlist so that I do not forget to buy it for my brother.

    And you brought tears to my eyes after I read what you wrote! You are too sweet, Joy!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!