Saturday, June 16, 2007

Southern Reading Challenge

I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS
Maya Angelou ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 2.5/5
Yearly Count: 47




This happens to be the first book on CD that I have listened to that was abridged. I was unaware of that fact (no mention of it on the library website or the case) until there was a break in the story and a man’s voice proceeded with what seemed like a condensed version of a span of time then Maya Angelou continued on.

Also, I wasn’t aware that it was non-fiction. Non-fiction is great, so that wasn’t a problem. It actually piqued my curiosity even more. Unfortunately though, the book did nothing for me. There were some parts that squeezed a sympathetic emotion out of me, but I really wasn’t terribly impressed with the writing or the reading, actually I wasn’t impressed at all. Ultimately, I found it be a downtrodden book with no redeeming qualities. Did I miss something? Maybe, but I don't care. I do wonder though, what was the point?

In the long run, I had no problem with this particular book being abridged, but in general, I will continue to stick with unabridged versions.

7 comments:

  1. Unabridged is best, but it can be so hard to tell. They don't go out of their way to let you know, do they?

    I thought this one was just okay, too. I'm not really sure why such a big deal is made about it, other than the fact that she was brave enough to say that she enjoyed certain aspects of being molested (which you never hear anyone say). Other than that, it wasn't that special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kookiejar ~ Did Oprah have anything to do with this becoming a popular book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good question, but I remember hearing about this one when I was in high school (over 20 years ago), so I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I read this one after graduating high school, and I remember liking it. Its been a while (and many books ago), so I don't really remember what about it I liked. If only there was enough time to re-read. :)

    Have you read any of her poetry? I have always loved "Still I Rise."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trish ~ No, I haven't read any of Angelou's poetry; this was a first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this in March and enjoyed it. Sorry to hear you didn't care for it. The book is one in a series of autobiographical works done by Angelou. I learned this while reading the book (a link is in my review). See my review at: (http://bookinhand.blogspot.com/2007/03/i-know-why-caged-bird-sings.html) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Book in Hand ~ I didn't know this was one in a series, however, that doesn't make any difference to me because I will not be reading anymore. I really didn't care for her attitude. I am glad you enjoyed it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!