Sunday, July 01, 2007

Southern Reading Challenge

ELLEN FOSTER
Kaye Gibbons
Personal Rating: 3.75/5
Yearly Count: 53




Ellen Foster is an 11-year-old with a lot of tenacity from which she learned at a young age; although, she is a typical girl with hopes and dreams. Unfortunately, Ellen goes through many hardships before finding her niche in the world. Her drive and devotion to a friend is priceless and much can be
learned from this character.

Ellen tells her own tale with the "now and back then" strategy, which works well, but the lack of punctuation was bothersome at times. Even though this is a short story, there are many little insights and truths she shared that made me smile.

8 comments:

  1. I read this years ago! As I recall, I enjoyed it, but not as much as Charms for the Easy Life. Have you read that one? I read it and then several years later listened to it on cd and enjoyed it just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:21 PM

    Joy, I'm going to agree with Les. I enjoyed Ellen Foster as well but Charms For the Easy Life is a favorite, and was just as enjoyable on the recent second reading as the first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Les & Jan ~ Yes, I read CHARMS FOR THE EASY LIFE in 2004 and rated it a 4/5. Although, I don't remember it.

    ELLEN falls right under "Very Good". :) Finding out that it was an Oprah book dampened my experience. I was constantly thinking, "Why did she choose this book?" and "What's the deep message?" I wish I hadn't known, but oh well, I still enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a sequel to 'Ellen Foster' as well, that is very good. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kookie ~ Yea, I noticed that at the library. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this author or any of her books, but I can see others have liked her. I'll have to add her to my wishlist to try. Thanks for the review, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Literary Feline ~ I think you'd like this author. I enjoyed the two I read. This one is short and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:32 PM

    The story is so cute. It is a little depressing but such a touching story at the same time. This book should be required reading for every school counselor or any counselor working with children. One of my new favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!