Sunday, July 22, 2007

THE FACE OF DEATH
Cody McFadyen
Personal Rating: 5/5!
Yearly Count: 61




I have a problem with me thinking that this was absolutely excellent. Here's why:


"Be as careful of the books you read, as of the company you keep; for your habits and character will be as much influenced by the former as by the latter."

~ Paxton Hood ~


This is not good. I truly believe in that quote. It means that I must really be bad off now.

The Face of Death is the second in the Special Agent Smoky Barrett series. While this thriller brings much of the same as the first (Shadow Man) regarding graphic violence, it also delivers much more depth in the characters, an incredible crime thriller plot and evokes emotions from despair to delight.

Cody's writing ability is outstanding. He is able to grab you and keep you. What I find baffling is that this creative talent he shares with us is very disturbing. Who has this stuff in their mind? And worse yet ... why do I want to read it? Another outstanding, yet questionable skill is that he has an uncanny ability to portray female characters with incredible accuracy. How does he do that?

I will not be intentionally seeking out more authors that describe horrific murders or that contain child abuse, so maybe my character will remain intact. However, I can't wait for Smoky's next case. I miss the gang already!

12 comments:

  1. You've made me very anxious to read this one now!! I had to return it unread to the library before our vacation. Should've bought a copy to read on the plane! Drat! Great review.

    By the way, have you read any of the P.J. Tracy books (the Monkeewrench series)? I think you'd really enjoy them.

    Les, who has to return to the Midwest tomorrow :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got 'Shadow Man' from the library because of your recommendation, but I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. Looks like I now have something to read after that, even.

    And I don't think there is anything wrong with your character. Imagine the nuts out there who keep their dark thoughts and impulses bottled up inside them. They are the dangerous ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, that is pretty bad when you are in contention of your own review : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les ~ Yes, I am up-to-date on the Monkeewrench gang. I do really enjoy that series. Thanks for mentioning it though. I've enjoyed your trip. :)

    Kookie ~ I can't wait to read your thoughts on Shadow Man. With our track record, it should be interesting.

    MyUtopia ~ I know! What's wrong with me!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm . . . I've suspected for years that you're secretly an axe murderer stalking all of us.

    ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought Shadow Man a few weeks back because of your review, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I didn't realize it's the beginning of a series...but if these are as good as they sound, I'm glad it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:50 PM

    I know what you mean about not wanting to read vile horrific shock novels, but it sounds as if he's put it together in a way that's not so much titillating but more of a character study.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzi ~ LOL LOL LOL Actually, I'm just a wannabe! :)

    Debi ~ Read it, read it! I want to read someone else's thoughts. :)

    Carrie K ~ You are exactly right, Carrie. It just makes me feel creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review, Joy! I've added it to my wish list. I haven't even heard of this author to be honest. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Literary Feline ~ He's relatively new. I would definitely start with Shadow Man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand what you mean, Joy. I like to read murder mysteries, but I think I prefer the Agatha Christie/Dorothy Sayers type, some blood, but mostly plot and characters. I read a couple of police=type mysteries not too long ago, and I thought, "Are there really people out there (criminals) who have such vile imaginations?" I couldn't even think up some of this stuff. I don't know if it damaged my character, but it did make me shy away from those kind of books for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sherry ~ Thanks for sharing that you're in the same camp. I appreciate the company. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!