Monday, July 09, 2007

Southern Reading Challenge

BETWEEN, GEORGIA
Joshilyn Jackson ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 2.75/5
Yearly Count: 57





BETWEEN, GEORGIA is a story about a family feud that has been in existence for many, many years between the Crabtrees and the Fretts. The feud leaves the main character Nonny, who has ties to both sides, as the mediator.

I didn't make a connection with any of the characters and the storyline didn't hold my interest, so ultimately I didn't care and the book flopped. Well, it wasn't a total flop; there just wasn't enough substance. However, Joshilyn Jackson's writing was very well done in regards to Nonny communicating with her mother who was deaf and blind. I think conveying that relationship would be a very difficult task and she portrayed it well.


This book wasn't for me, but I really enjoyed her first one titled GODS IN ALABAMA.

7 comments:

  1. LOL - well at least you liked Gods in Alabama. I thought this book was cute, but I didn't like it as well either. I probably would have rated it a 3.5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard mixed reviews for both books. I'll give them a read sooner or later.

    I think it would be very hard to try to write a scene where someone is trying to talk to a person is deaf and blind. It proves Jackson's talent that she was able to do it satisfactorily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish ~ I was kind of disappointed because I really did like GODS IN ALABAMA. Oh well.

    Kookie ~ I do believe she has talent. I just didn't care for the goofy storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this one in the bookstore tonight and almost got it, but decided I should see how I like Gods in Alabama first. Glad I made that choice! Thanks for the review, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Literary Feline ~ I hope you enjoy GODS IN ALABAMA if you decide to give her a try. I think it would be worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rats, I just bought this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Framed ~ I listened to this one, so that could have had an effect on me. I didn't care for how some of the characters were made to sound. Reading it would have made a difference, although I don't think enough to make me like it. Did you read GODS IN ALABAMA? I'd exchange it for that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!