Saturday, July 14, 2007

TALLGRASS
Sandra Dallas
Personal Rating: 4.5/5
Yearly Count: 58




Rennie, the narrator, is a thirteen year old at the start of the novel. She takes us through the years of WWII when the US government required all West Coast Japanese residents to be placed in internment camps for the duration of the war. One of these camps was developed a mile from Rennie's family sugar beet farm. This is the story of how this camp affected her and the small Colorado community in which they lived.

It was a wonderful read! This was my third book by Sandra Dallas and I just love her ability to write good stories. I enjoyed this right from the start and really wanted to savor every moment until the end. The well-developed characters were very personable and I really enjoyed their relationships, yet tension seemed to be always lurking.


Many issues are explored in this novel, so I think it would make for a great book club read.

2 comments:

  1. I must add this one to my wishlist! Thank you for the great review, Joy. I've always been interested in various aspects of WW2, including the U.S. internment camps. I read Farewell to Manzanar, a true story, in middle school and I think my interest grew from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Literary Feline ~ I never knew much about the internment camps. I don't even remember it being covered in high school. ? Last year I read WHEN THE EMPEROR WAS DIVINE (Otsuka). It was written from the Japanese perspective. It had so much potential, yet fell short and I was disappointed. However, it did pique my interest. I'd like to read more along those lines. I'll look into the book you mentioned. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!