Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Book Awards Reading Challenge (Newbery)

THE WHIPPING BOY
Sid Fleischman
Personal Rating: 3.25/5
Yearly Count: 72




This is a tale of a prince and his whipping boy (someone who suffers the punishments due to the prince’s misbehavior). It is filled with unique characters, suspense, and chase. There’s also a touch of humor and the discovery of friendship. This would make a great book choice for upper elementary children's book clubs. It would elicit good conversation, especially from boys.

4 comments:

  1. I love Newbery Award books. This is one that I've skipped over, but it will definitely be on my next list for the Newbery Challenge. Thanks, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booklogged ~ You're welcome. I don't think there was a boring spot in the whole book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a very long time since I read this book - I was going through a "Newbery-reading phase", at the time - but I still remember how much I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bookfool ~ It was good. I think I'll check out the reviews on Amazon and B&N. I'm curious as to what children think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!