Monday, August 13, 2007

Personal Genre Challenge

ALAS, BABYLON
Pat Frank
Personal Rating: 3.25/5
Yearly Count: 71




Alas, Babylon is an apocalyptic novel that focused on one town's courage to remain among the living. The daily struggles and mini-victories were, frankly, benign. There were only a couple of exciting or dramatic highlights in the whole book. Okay, so maybe it wasn't supposed to be exciting or dramatic, but it was about survival in dire circumstances . . . wouldn't you think to expect some eyebrow-lifting moments? I did and they didn't happen.

Even though it doesn't get a high rating, I did like it. It wasn't remotely as powerful as THE ROAD, but by no means was it a loss. Sorry, Kookie. I wish I could say something better.


*Recommended By:
A Fraternity of Dreamers

7 comments:

  1. Oh, dear. I had hoped this would be a winner. But then, what can possibly compare with The Road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:39 PM

    Not to mention since it was written in the 50's it's a little dated. It was okay, I liked it too, but it was nothing special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one when I was in high school and when the threat of nuclear war was always on everyone's mind. Read in that context, I found it to be very good but I haven't read it since. Now I wonder how it would work. Just the other day I found my old paperback copy of the book from the sixties and I may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les ~ It might not have been a winner, but at least it wasn't a loser. :)

    Carrie K. ~ Thanks! I don't feel so bad now.

    Sam ~ I'm interested in reading your second time around thoughts. I'll be watching for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy, I'm not surprised. But at least you gave it a whirl and now you can say that you've read it (which is more than a lot of people can say). I'm just flattered that you found my suggestion worth taking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kookie ~ Yes, I can say I read it. :) The purpose was to stretch my reading genres and I did just that. I'm glad I read it and appreciate you giving me the suggestion. Please remember that you suggested THE ROAD to me and I gave that a 4.25/5! I consider that a huge success. In general, we just have different preferences and that works for me. You have been a great source for "out-of-the-box" suggestions for me. And...I greatly appreciate that. :) However, I am getting weary of reading books that I haven't chosen for just pure pleasure, hence; the 2nds Challenge and now the First in a Series Challenge. Both are areas I want to pursue this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you should persue those, Joy. Life is too short to read books you don't care for. But I am really glad that you are open to new options and possibilities. So many people aren't.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!