Saturday, August 18, 2007

Book Awards Reading Challenge (Newbery)

WALK TWO MOONS
Sharon Creech
Personal Rating: 3/5
Yearly Count: 75



This young adult book had many, many themes and an interesting way of telling a story. It was told by Salamanca (Sal), a 13-year-old girl, on a journey from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents. During the trip she shares stories of her friendship with Phoebe. Sal keeps Gram and Gramps entertained as we experience some of the growing pains of adolescence through those stories. I'm not sure what was missing or why I didn't like it more, but I came away with just an okay feeling.

5 comments:

  1. Hi! First-time commenter (I think), not first-time reader. I read Walk Two Moons awhile back and even though it was highly recommended to me, I also felt there was something missing that I couldn't put my finger on. Looking back, although it's been a few years, I remember it as being almost too full of themes, and not enough heart. I dunno though, but in any case, I totally agree with your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:08 AM

    This is on my daughter's book list for school this year. I will be curious to hear what she thinks about it...she is an avid reader. If there is 'something missing' it certainly is not going to hold her interest for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just about to start this one for the Newbery Challenge. Sorry to hear you didn't love it. It was highly recommended to me as well. But then so was Island of the Blue Dolphins, and it just didn't do a whole lot for me either. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one I'll have to get to with the next Newberry or Ready Awards Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen ~ I think you're right; not enough heart to support all those themes.

    Danielle B. ~ I do think it's the "heart" that's missing, but I think she will still enjoy it.

    Debi ~ Oh...I plan on reading that one, too. We'll have to compare notes. :)

    Booklogged ~ It's worth a read. I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!