Friday, August 17, 2007

DEAD CONNECTION
Alafair Burke ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 3.75/5
Yearly Count: 74




This introduction to a Burke police thriller was a positive experience. The author, Alafair Burke, is the daughter of author James Lee Burke, neither of which I had read before.
I found that I really enjoyed Alafair's style of writing, yet thought there was a lot packed into this one book. There were just too many characters with too many sidelines that crowded out the opportunity for more individual character development.

What I really liked was the sense of sophistication to Alafair's style. I'm not sure if that's the exact word I'm looking for, but this thriller didn't feel like the typical catch the bad guy story. There was something more that I just haven't figured out yet. So hopefully, detective Ellie Hatcher will be back to maintain order in New York City, so I can have another opportunity to sort out my thoughts. Ellie has enough depth to maintain her own, and the ending has a perfect setup for a series, so I'm hoping that avenue is pursued.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:39 PM

    I haven't read any books by either Burke, but my friend Tina

    http://violetladyathome.blogspot.com

    has read all his books and loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have my interest peaked, Joy. I'm going to add this one to my list for the future - my future needs to last a very long time! An interesting name - Alafair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing -- Alafair is such a unique name. I think I'll wait to start this until I see if a series comes out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read one of Alifair's books yet but I have a couple of them on the shelf staring at me right now.

    As for her dad, I've read all but his latest book of short stories...don't miss his Dave Robicheaux books, y'all. But try to read them in the order in which they were written...it's one long story and it's a whopper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynne ~ I will have to stop by Tina's blog asap. Thanks!

    Booklogged ~ I know...sometimes I get overwhelmed with my TBR list because there isn't enough time to get to all of them. The authors need to stop and let us catch up! AHHHH...what am I saying!?! Scratch that, I was just having a weak moment.

    Framed ~ That's a good idea. :)

    Sam ~ I've got THE NEON RAIN on my TBR list! That's the first one in the Dave Robicheaux series. Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to get to it this year. <-- That's sounds awful. I'd love to say soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!