Monday, September 17, 2007

Book Awards Reading Challenge (Newbery)

THE HIGHER POWER OF LUCKY
Susan Patron
Personal Rating: 3/5
Yearly Count: 86




Lucky is a 10-year-old that lives in a trailer in Hard Pan, California with her French guardian, Brigitte. As she seeks out her "higher power", she convinces herself that Brigitte wants to return to France, which causes her to develop a plan of her own.

As I was reading, I enjoyed the character of the unpredictable Lucky and thought that young girls may relate to her; however, I didn't care too much for the storyline. It was just okay.

4 comments:

  1. I liked this book better than you did, it seems. Can you imagine living in a place called Hard Pan? I hate dry, brown, deserty areas, so I felt especially bad that Lucky had to live there. I also liked how she would listen in to the AA meetings, which gave her the idea to look for her higher power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't like this much. I really enjoyed it.

    Wow, great progress on the Book Awards Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked this one out from the library. I think you gave it a lower rating than most, but the first two paragraphs didn't exactly grab me. We'll see how the rest goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Booklogged ~ I had hoped for more with her listening in on the meetings.

    3M ~ Yep, I'm cruising along. I forgot how quickly the children's books go.

    Bookfool ~ Some parts were better than others. I do hope you like it more than I did.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!