Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Book Awards Reading Challenge (Newbery) & By the Decades Challenge ~ 70's (1976)

ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY
Mildred D. Taylor ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 4.5/5
Yearly Count: 93




A portion of America’s history is brutally told through the lives of Cassie and her family who live in rural Mississippi. It is filled with the tragedy of racial injustice, yet also the perseverance and love of a devoted family. This was a very realistic and powerful book.

At this present stage in my life, I found this book to be fascinating and extremely well-written for children and adults, alike. It most definitely deserves the Newbery Award.

AND . . . I just discovered that this is the first in a trilogy! I will be reading or listening to the rest of them.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:57 AM

    This is one of my all time favourite books (although I thought there were more in the series than three). We read it in school for English and I went straight to the library for the sequels. Amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clairec23 ~ Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment! :)

    I really did enjoy this one. It's my understanding that there are three in the trilogy (of course there are three in a trilogy, hee-hee), then later she added a prequel, but I certainly could be wrong. Let me know if you find out differently.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!