Tuesday, October 16, 2007

NYT Notable Book Challenge

BLACK SWAN GREEN
David Mitchell ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 2/5
Yearly Count: 97




In this novel, we are transported to a small town named Black Swan Green which is located in England. Through the eyes of Jason Taylor, we travel through his 13th year of life. We experience his family, friends, school and the general joys of growing up. Ha!

Well. Blah. Frankly, it was a dreary book. At first, I read a few chapters and found it to be a bit bland, but was still interested in knowing the story, so I decided to locate it on CD. I was able to do that, so I listened to the rest of it. It was a very difficult listen. After hearing so many vile words, descriptions and actions, I was in continual cringe mode and was often repulsed. I stayed with it because I knew that it was just crude, juvenile bathroom humor and had hoped that there would be a light at the end of the tunnel. There was no light.


I'm not sure what I disliked most, the appalling language and antics or the lack of any sympathetic or compassionate main characters. It was just, all around, not a good one for me.

4 comments:

  1. You got further than me and my husband. We both gave up after less than a half dozen pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les ~ Thanks for commenting! We are truly in the minority on this one. Everywhere I look there are extremely high ratings. When I described the book in detail to my husband, he asked me why would I want to read a book like that?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds horrible. I had this one on my TBR list, but I'm going to gladly remove it. Thanks, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Booklogged ~ I really think you'd feel the same way. From my perspective, you've made a wise choice to remove it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!