Wednesday, October 17, 2007

PLAYING FOR PIZZA
John Grisham
Personal Rating: 3.25/5
Yearly Count: 98




Basically, Rick Dockery's NFL days are over, so he ventures to the layman's league of American football in Italy. He focuses on building up his confidence and playing the sport he loves, while discovering new friends and Italian tradition.


I am a major fan of Grisham, so even his (second) book about football had me eager. His writing style is one that I know well and it always brings a sense of comfort to me. This one was no different; although, in the long run, I'd call this a travel guide of Italy with a large portion of announced football. The sights and sounds of both the playing field and the country, including food and wine, were doled out in huge quantities. I liked the comfort it brought, but not enough to put it in the "good" category. It would have been better if Rick was someone I would want to have around. As he was, he wasn't.

6 comments:

  1. I like Grisham's style, but I don't like legal thrillers, so perhaps I'd like this one a little better. I also saw him talking about it on 'The Colbert Report' and he seems to have a pretty good sense of humor. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kookie ~ LOL I LOVE legal thrillers! I'm eagerly awaiting his next one, whenever that may be.

    I found that Playing for Pizza didn't have a lot of humor, but there's a twinkling here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:34 PM

    I was glad to see the this review. I had thought about reading it, but I have never enjoyed anything he has written that has been out of the legal genre. I always stop by to check on what you've been reading ;) How in the world do you read so much?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle ~ I'm thankful for your visits. :) I really don't read much during the daytime, but I do listen to a book on my iPod (BOiPod) whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy Grisham's books and was wondering what this one was about. Thanks for the review, I am thinking I will probably skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pamela ~ It's not his best.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!