Thursday, November 29, 2007

Short Story

THE BENEFICIARY
Nadine Gordimer
Personal Rating: 4.25/5


I can't remember the last time I read a single short story that wasn't part of a collection or in Reader's Digest. That certainly has no bearing on its worth, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to post and/or rate individual stories. Obviously, I have decided to take that plunge, but I will be brief.

After the death of her mother, Charlotte/Charlie begins the process of sifting through her mother's belongings and comes across some memorabilia that shakes up her world as she knows it.

This proved to be a very poignant story on many different levels. I'm definitely interested in reading a collection by this author.


*Recommended By:
Caribousmom

3 comments:

  1. Just recently I've come to appreciate the short story. To be honest, I've always found them somehow lacking. But lately, I've read some good ones. This sounds like one of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *thought* I already left a message her this morning, but it never appeared!! Anyway, glad you enjoyed this little gem. I can't wait to figure out which of her novels I'm going to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie ~ I think this one was filled with "meat and potatoes" as they say. :)

    Wendy ~ The missing post has happened to me before. :( I did enjoy it...thank you. Maybe I'll just wait for your recommendation on the book. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!