Monday, November 26, 2007

TBR Challenge

IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER
Julia Spencer-Fleming
Personal Rating: 4/5
Yearly Count: 112





The plot of this book really hooked me, BUT I did not care for one of the main characters at all. Also, I found the relationship between the two main characters, female Episcopal priest, Clare Fergusson and the married Chief of Police, Russ Van Alstyne, very uncomfortable and not enticing or tantalizing in the least. My soul purpose in continuing the read was to find out the resolution to the case of who left a baby on the church doorstep and who murdered a girl found in the park. If it was only about Clare and Russ, I don't think I would have continued.

In the long run, I enjoyed the book a lot, but will give it some time before I read the second in the series. There's just something about these characters that rubbed me the wrong way, but I will continue with the hope of that dissipating.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:52 PM

    I love this book, and the whole series. I enjoy Russ because he is just an average guy. He doesn't work out, he's in his late 40's, he wears glasses, he doesn't sound like some arrogant stud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just hate it when the characters in a book annoy me! I mean, it's one thing if they're supposed to be unlikable for some reason. But when it's characters that
    one is suppose to like and root for and relate to, well, that's a whole 'nother ball game. I applaud you for not giving up on the series here and now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal ~ I agree regarding Russ; however, Clare just annoys me to no end. She barges her way into situations where she wasn't invited or doesn't belong. Her personality does not fit the role of a priest either. For me, the conflict between the two was grating.

    Debi ~ The actual plot and writing was good, that's why I'll give it another chance. I'm hoping Clare chills or better yet, a proper role is developed for her.

    I definitely think that my feelings are not what the author intended. I'd love to read your thoughts on it...why don't you give it a try? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a really difficult time with a book if I don't like the main character(s).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trish ~ I'm hoping the irritation will go away. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!