Tuesday, July 29, 2008

THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN

Author: Sherman Alexie
Genre: YA Fiction
Published: 2007
Personal Rating: 3/5
Yearly Count: 99



The main character, Arnold Spirit aka Junior, is a high school freshman and lives with his poor family on a reservation. Junior's experiences with other kids and adults alike, are not pleasant - to say the least. After a particular incident, Junior makes the decision to transfer from the reservation high school to the rich, all white high school well outside the reservation. His transfer helps him see the world in a different light.

This is another book that has left me with somewhat of a blah feeling and it is not the lack of writing skills by the author. The story line flowed and the descriptive writing allowed me to understand Junior, but in general, it just wasn't an enjoyable read. I'm not even so sure that Native Americans will appreciate how this book represents them. While girls may enjoy this, I think boys would wallow in its supposed humor.

*Since writing the above, I have discovered that the author has based this book upon his own life. That does put a different spin on my thoughts, but I will leave my rating as is.

8 comments:

  1. I've read/heard many great reviews of this book. I'll probably still read it, but I'll keep your thoughts in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charley ~ Most of the reviews I saw were very positive as well. My guess is that you'll enjoy it more than I did. It's just not my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this one (and still do) BUT I have been looking for a copy with my brother in mind and I may drop that idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've got this on my to-read list, but i probably won't get to it any time soon. thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trish ~ How old is your brother? I think boys could relate better than girls. (Interest though because I really enjoy reading about boys.) If I were you, I would definitely read it. It has value, but just not the type of value I look for in a book. You may love it. (I doubt it though - like it more than I did is certainly possible.)

    Alisonwonderland ~ Where have you been? I haven't seen you around. I've missed you.

    Once again, you'll probably like this more than I did and I hope you do. It's just a "me" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Joy--I misread what you said about boys liking the book!! My brother is 12, so maybe this would be right up his alley. I'm still going to check it out, though--I also recently picked up a short story collection of Alexie's (The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trish ~ Ummm, I would not want my 12 year old brother reading this, but I'm a bit more protective than most. I don't believe in the philosophy "as long as they're reading, it doesn't matter what it is". The language is bad, there are many topics of major angst, etc. If I remember correctly, Amazon pegs it for grades 7 - 10, so from their standards he just qualifies. :) However, I see it more as a high school book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely understand. It's funny--the other day when I was looking for it at a used bookstore the clerk asked me if it was a young adult or teen book. I looked at him with utter confusion so he looked it up. He said young adult--which by their standards is 7th and 8th grade. Thanks for your feedback Joy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!