Monday, July 28, 2008

PURPLE HIBISCUS

Author:  Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Genre:  YA Fiction
Published:  2003
Personal Rating:  3.25/5
Yearly Count:  98



Purple Hibiscus is Adichie's debut novel.  She introduces Kambili, a fifteen-year-old privileged Nigerian girl, along with her mother, father and older brother, Jaja.  Kambili shares the daily experiences of her and her family's life and is exposed to her not-so-well-off relatives.  Life inside the Kambili's home may not be so privileged after all.    

I can't put my finger on the deciding factor that caused me to not enjoy this book as much as I had hoped, but I do know that there were several things that made me uncomfortable.  First, it took me almost half the book to become interested in the story, and the religious and political views that represented the Nigerians was unsettling.  In addition, the storyline and characters both were sluggish, but they all had their purpose.  Even with all my dislikes, I found it to be a well-written, good book, but not one I can rave about.  I'm thinking timing played a part in my rating as well.

8 comments:

  1. Eeeks! I had high hopes for this one (although I'll be reading Half of a Yellow Sun first). I completely understand how timing can change things, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish ~ I really think you'll like it. Well, at least more than I did. I started Half a Yellow Sun when it first came out and it seemed like it was going to be a great read; however, I didn't feel like reading that type of book at the time. I wanted to enjoy it, so I decided to put it off. Unfortunately, Purple Hibiscus fell into the same category, but I finished it. I believe Adichie is a good writer; I just have to be in the right kind of mood to read her books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't enjoy the book too much Joy but yes, timing definitely plays a part in what you think of a book. Many times I've tried reading something, not liked it, yet others had great reviews so I'd go back and love it. Hope your next selection is more satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dar ~ I just finished another one today (post coming) that I felt pretty much the same way. I think it boils down to the fact that they both are not "happy" reads. Not everything I read, by any means, is a "happy" read, but I was not in the mood for blah storylines. They both had first person narration, so they were intimate reads, which I do enjoy.

    Thankfully, I'm enjoying my other book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review. This one is on my TBR, so when I eventually get to it I hope I enjoy it more than you did. Hmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teddy Rose ~ I think you will - most people have. :) I haven't been in the right frame of mind to read "blah" sort of stories. It's not awful or anything like that, just blah as in not happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you don't enjoy Adichie as much as I do. But you're absolutely right, I think timing does play a role in how we perceive and enjoy a book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nyssaneala ~ I hate when I read something at the wrong time. :( I so want to enjoy everything I read, but it just doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!