Friday, January 23, 2009

PAPER TOWNS

Author:  John Green
Genre:  YA Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2008
Personal Rating:  3.5/5
Yearly Count:  12



At the end of their senior year, Quentin's (Q's) first childhood love, Margo, appears at his bedroom window one evening, requesting that he take her on a road trip.  Now who wouldn't accept an invitation like that from THE Margo Roth Spiegelman?  Like all the high school seniors would do, Q accepts, and a crazy night of adventure ensues.  Unfortunately, the fun doesn't last long, because as quickly as Margo reappeared in Q's life, she disappears just as fast.  Now with Margo's safety in mind, Q and his buddies follow the trail that she has left behind.  Q is determined to rescue her.

    Now that I have read two John Green novels, I think he just doesn't write books that fancy my inner young adult.  While I found the adventures to be somewhat interesting and exciting, they were certainly not realistic.  There was nothing special about the main character, Q, that helped me connect or truly care about him and I didn't care for Margo at all.  One of Q's buddies was okay, but he didn't play a huge role.  Now, the book's saving grace was the mystery itself.  Following clues and solving the puzzle of where Margo could possibly be was the best attribute of the novel.

12 comments:

  1. I haven't read Paper Towns but I adore John Green. He's smart and nerdy and I think his writing is awesome. To each his own, eh? I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookfool ~ Oh - I'm pretty sure you'll love it. There, also, is a moral to the story, which does add some depth. I still have An Abundance of Katherines to read. Someday, I give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to read any John Green. I really should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so many glowing reviews of John Green, it's kind of nice to have a dissenter. :)
    I still want to read something by him but maybe now my expectations won't be too high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:16 PM

    I've been wanting to read this one. Heard too many things to let it go...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't care for Margo either, but I'd still like to read Looking for Alaska, since readers seem to really like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything by Green, but I bought An Abundance of Katherines because my daughter's name is Kathryn. When she saw it she got all excited and laid claim to it (as was my intention - let 'em think it was their idea...) and read it. She didn't think I would like it, so I haven't taken the time to read it.

    What was the other John Green novel you read, Joy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marg ~ You'd then know what all the hype is all about. :)

    Tanabata ~ Yikes . . . "a dissenter"! I'm not THAT bad. :) I've actually rated it as "good". There were some fun times that I really enjoyed, but overall - I don't see the magic in his writing. Most people love his view of teenage drama, so I imagine you'll enjoy it more than I did. HOWEVER, I did think it was good, just not great. :)

    J. Kaye ~ I can't imagine you not loving it.

    Charley ~ Yay. Thank you, Charley. :)

    Booklogged ~ Gotta do, what we gotta do to get a book in their hands!

    I read Looking for Alaska. You can read my thoughts here. It is filled with inappropriate behavior. :( This one has some of that, too, but a different kind and nothing like LforA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't mean it in a bad way, but maybe dissenter is too strong. Sorry! :)
    How about just saying your review was a little less glowing than the others that I've seen. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tanabata ~ I didn't take it in a bad way. I was exaggerating my thoughts. No apology necessary. :) :) :) And, yes, it is definitely less glowing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really appreciate your honest review. Like some of the others all I've heard is praise for John Green. I'm not big into YA fiction (although I hate to admit that I'm reading Twilight right now and can't put it down), and your review has helped keep things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trish ~ Yep, he has received a lot of praise. I'm happy for him and for those that thoroughly enjoy his writing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!