Wednesday, January 21, 2009

THE MYSTERY OF MARY ROGERS

Author: Rick Geary
Genre: YA NF Graphic Novel, Series
Published: 2001
Personal Rating: 4.5/5
Yearly Count: 11



The unsolved death of Mary Rogers of New York City is told and explored in Geary fashion - a graphic novel. The "cigar girl" was murdered and found on the banks of the Hudson River in 1841.

This is my second read in this series and I enjoyed it just as much as the first. Geary tells the facts of the story, goes backwards in time to the days prior to the murder, proceeds to the investigation, then reveals how Edgar Allen Poe fits into the scenario, and concludes with questions and possible solutions regarding the death of Mary Rogers.

9 comments:

  1. I really loved The Borden Tragedy, but unfortunately that the only one in the series our library system has. :( Glad to hear this one was just as good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debi ~ What a bummer that your library doesn't have any more. Maybe you could request them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah! so glad you liked this!

    Debi, my library doesn't have any of them but i've been able to get them all through ILL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read one of his books last year and was really impressed. I need to remember to look for his books next time I'm at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I might have to see if my library has them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicola ~ I have to remember to get another one - every now and then, because I really like these.

    Iliana ~ I'm excited to read more, so I may get a couple from the library and read them in between other books.

    Booklogged ~ You won't be wasting much time if you don't like it, but I don't think that'll happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to try out a graphic novel for some time now. This one sounds really good. Do I have to read the series in order though?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm--is this the same story as the one you sent me (Beautiful Cigar Girl)? I hope to read that one for the NFF. After I'm done I'll have to look this one up for the different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Samantha ~ No you do not have to read the series in order. Actually, I don't even know the order. I am numbering them as I read them. They are all individual stories. If you like non-fiction mysteries that are not solved, I think you'll really like this type of graphic novel. They will not take long to read and are very interesting. I can't wait to read your thoughts - hurry and get one! :)

    Trish ~ YEP!!! I had a suspicion that it was, but didn't know for sure until I had the book in my hand. Oh, I can't wait to read your thoughts as well. It will be a perfect follow-up book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!