Thursday, February 05, 2009

A RULE AGAINST MURDER

Author: Louise Penny
Genre: Cozy Mystery, Series #4
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 4.25/5
Yearly Count: 17



Vacationing in Quebec at Manoir Bellechasse, chief inspector Armand Gamache and his wife become acquainted with the members of a family who are gathered for a reunion and the installation of a statue in honor of their deceased father. Unfortunately, a member of that family is crushed to death by the statue and Gamache finds himself no longer on vacation.

As much as I love Three Pines, I thoroughly enjoyed this vacationing location, but more importantly, I loved how Penny weaved the lovely village into the story line. The mystery of how the death occurred contained a plethera of complex and dysfunctional suspects, creating a unique cast of characters.

I like Gamache. He is a smart, compassionate man. The simple truths he speaks make me pause a moment, and then, there are the more profound statements that I consider bits of wisdom and like to ponder. He's a great character.


10 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:26 AM

    Joy, glad to know that you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good. It reminds me of the PD James one I read. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My audio book arrived yesterday--Hurray! Thanks again for having the drawing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read Three Pines and really enjoyed it. I plan on reading the whole series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read the first in the series, but I really liked Gamache. Glad this was a winner. I need to get cracking and read these!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know the fourth Gamache book was out - thank you! It sounds interesting - I'm glad that Penny still weaves Three Pines through the narrative. I am so in love with that place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kay ~ She doesn't disappoint. :)

    Dar ~ I have the first PD James on my TBR shelf, but haven't been able to get to it yet. I think you'd like this series, Dar.

    Laura ~ Oh good! I hope you enjoy it.

    Framed ~ I have enjoyed all four books. I hope you do, too.

    Les ~ I've listened to them all and have really enjoyed the experience. And, yes - you do! :)

    Ms. Bookish ~ I wondered early on how many people could die in one small village without the community freaking out and wanting to move! Three Pines is a very quaint village and I love it too, but I'm glad she took the story out for a more realistic touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear that Penny's book just keep coming and that they are so good. I figured that she would have to move from Three Pines after a few books because the community is so small. I wish I didn't have such a stack to read before I can continue with this series. Like you, I love the tidbits of wisdom and awareness that give us pause to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gamache is a wonderful character isn't he? Unfortunately I couldn't get into the third one in the series but I think that it was just me reading it at the wrong time. I'll have to catch up with this one. I was curious if she was going to continue too because I had heard that she had originally planned to do just three books - glad that isn't he case!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheya ~ If she didn't move the characters out of Three Pines, the village would no longer exist - everybody would have been murdered. :)

    Iliana ~ Too funny. I have read the same comment about #3 several times, but interestingly enough - I rated it higher than #1 & 2! And I didn't care for the topic, in general. ODD, I know. I think like you, but on the other end of the spectrum, it was great timing for me.

    I never heard the three book plan! Well, I'm glad that's not the case, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!