Sunday, June 21, 2009

THE ANGEL'S GAME

Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Genre: Fiction (magical realism), Prequel
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 2.75/5 (better than eh)
Yearly Count: 75




Amazon.com Review Book Description

From master storyteller Carlos Ruiz Zafón, author of the international phenomenon The Shadow of the Wind, comes The Angel’s Game--a dazzling new page-turner about the perilous nature of obsession, in literature and in love.

“The whole of Barcelona stretched out at my feet and I wanted to believe that, when I opened those windows, its streets would whisper stories to me, secrets I could capture on paper and narrate to whomever cared to listen...

”In an abandoned mansion at the heart of Barcelona, a young man, David Martín, makes his living by writing sensationalist novels under a pseudonym. The survivor of a troubled childhood, he has taken refuge in the world of books and spends his nights spinning baroque tales about the city’s underworld. But perhaps his dark imaginings are not as strange as they seem, for in a locked room deep within the house lie photographs and letters hinting at the mysterious death of the previous owner.

Like a slow poison, the history of the place seeps into his bones as he struggles with an impossible love. Close to despair, David receives a letter from a reclusive French editor, Andreas Corelli, who makes him the offer of a lifetime. He is to write a book unlike anything that has ever existed--a book with the power to change hearts and minds. In return, he will receive a fortune, and perhaps more. But as David begins the work, he realizes that there is a connection between his haunting book and the shadows that surround his home.

Once again, Zafón takes us into a dark, gothic universe first seen in The Shadow of the Wind and creates a breathtaking adventure of intrigue, romance, and tragedy. Through a dizzingly constructed labyrinth of secrets, the magic of books, passion, and friendship blend into a masterful story.


First off, I have to say that I love this author's writing style. In The Angel's Game, I loved his word choice, the atmosphere he created in my mind, the sentence structure -- virtually all the dynamics of writing, except for the plot. There were some interesting and exciting parts that truly kept my attention, but it also contained parts that were extremely dry and dull. Also, at times the magical realism went a bit too far for me. Even with all that said, I am thankful to have had the experience of Zafon's storytelling. It's that ability that compelled me to read until the very end of the 544 page hardcover (470 page ARC), even though I wasn't enjoying it as much as I would have liked.



My thanks go to Doubleday for sending me the ARC. It allowed me to experience Carlos Ruiz Zafon's work when I might not have otherwise. This book was released on June 16, 2009.

10 comments:

  1. I have his first book to read, but I have not been able to get to it as of yet. It's good to know that he is into magical-realism. Sometimes I can read stories with those elements and sometimes I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit to not finishing the Shadow of the Wind, so am not rushing out to buy this one. I'm pleased I'm not the only one who doesn't think all his books are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what to think of this one - the reviews are all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, interesting. I'm also seeing reviews all over the place on this one. Your review is very intriguing. I have this one in my pile. I'm realing getting into magical realism so I'm hoping ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed Shadow of the Wind and anticipate that I'll like this one too. Considering the diversity of reviews I guess I'll need to read it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole ~ I have the first one, too, but I have many other books that I really, really want to read, so it won't be in the near future.

    Farmlanebooks ~ All the components in a book have to be spot on to be amazing and this one did fall short for me. Plot is a major component. :)

    Bermudaonion ~ I suppose it's a style thing. If you read it, I hope you end up in the positive range.

    Nicola ~ I'm hoping for you, as well. :)

    Terri B. ~ Yep - that's the best way to decide. :) I'm sending fabulous reading vibes your way. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't finish Shadow of the Wind, so I have no desire to read this one. Sounds like I would've had a similar reaction as you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Les ~ Oh! Then I think you are right to give this one a pass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dry and dull, huh? Sounds right up my alley! :) Actually, I've been eyeing Zafon's work for a few months now and I think it's time to check it out. Magical realism is a tricky thing--sometimes it can be overkill, but done right it is...well...magical.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trish ~ I was going to mention something about the magical realism, but now I don't remember anything. Ahhh! It's not just my mind - it's because I erased any thoughts of this book. I let it go! :) I think you would probably be a fan of his writing, but it's my understanding that Shadow of the Wind is probably a better place to begin. ???

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!