Thursday, July 16, 2009

BUD, NOT BUDDY

Author: Christopher Paul Curtis
Genre: Children's Historical Fiction, Standalone
Published: 1999
Personal Rating: 3.25/5 (better than just okay)
Yearly Count: 86


Bud, not Buddy is a 10-year-old boy who has been abused in a foster care home in Flint, Michigan. So with very little knowledge, Bud decides to head out on his own in search of his father in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I'm kind of so-so on this one. I see its value from the historical perspective (1930s), but I didn't find the 'running away' portion very realistic. Also, while I really liked Bud (especially in the beginning) his personality became annoying with the repetition of certain phrases. Overall, I think I would have enjoyed this more if I were a child.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:11 PM

    My husband's from Flint. I think he would understand the running away part :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacybuckeye ~ LOL LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book to one of my student teaching classes. The 5th graders loved it, especially since it was set in Michigan (where I live). While I wasn't in love with it, the kids surely enjoyed it which was nice to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristie ~ I almost said that - "or as a read-aloud to a class." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one yet. I didn't know it took place in the '30s either. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicola ~ I think I was expecting something different when I picked it up, so it didn't hit the mark. I hope you enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been circling this one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bybee ~ I like how you said that. :) I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!