Saturday, August 01, 2009

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN

Author: Lionel Shriver
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2003
Personal Rating: 3.75/5 (better than good)
Yearly Count: 92



An affluent, New York family consists of challenging relationships that mainly focus around the high school son named Kevin. Kevin's world is skewed and it affects all those that surround him in a profoundly negative way. This family's story is told by Eva, the wife of Franklin and the mother of Kevin and Celia.

The story line of We Need to Talk About Kevin was a tough one. The family structure was challenged with difficult relationship, and I believe the struggles depicted were common, but in my experience have been handled differently - thus creating different outcomes. Thankfully. I would have liked to have heard more conversation, instead of being talked at so much, but that was the nature of the format. The main characters were interesting and as the book settles in my mind, I'm appreciating more of what was shared.

I found rating this book to be difficult. While I thought the story to be very intriguing, it truly didn't grab me until the second half. I have to take into account the fact that I do not care for the narrator of this audiobook - at all, so I struggled throughout. I knew that going into it, but I just didn't have the time to read it - leaving audio as my only other option. Also, there is an hour long interview with the author at the end of the book, which I loved, but it did not encourage me to rate the book any higher.

Both of those experiences were odd. Usually when a book builds and gets better, so does my rating, just as reading or listening to an interview. I love learning the behind the scene thoughts and intentions. This time, my rating was only raised by a marginal amount due to the second half improving and was not affected by the interview. I know that the narrator played a huge role in my displeasure and the author had an air about her that I didn't care for either. I can't say for sure if my rating would have gone up more if those two entities didn't exist, but I think a book being "better than good" is terrific under the circumstances.

I have to ask this: Did anybody else laugh at some of Kevin's responses? I honestly don't know if I would have laughed had I not listened to it.

11 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book, but I know a lot of people have raved about it. I do know that the reader can make or break an audio book, so it's too bad this one's not great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:07 PM

    I left you an award on my blog! I was trying to e-mail to let you know, but can't find one on here. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one I've been wanting to read for awhile now. I've heard mixed reviews about it overall.

    You bring up a good point about your rating usually going up the better the book gets for you. Obviously it didn't work for you in this case, but I found that to be true with a book I read recently. I ended up liking the book more than I thought I would at the half way mark. I've had it go the other way too though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:26 PM

    I've had this one on my TBR list for awhile. Not sure where I first heard about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard mixed reviews on this book and it's been on my TBR shelf for awhile. I have read that it would be a great book to dissect in a book club discussion. I agree with your feelings that a narrator of an audiobook can make a difference on the reading experience. I wonder if you would have liked this book better or less if you had read it instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this one, mostly because it was such a different perspective and because it left the reader with lots to think about. It would be fun to discuss the mother/narrator with someone after reading, because of the whole nature/nurture view.

    I think this book should be sold as a trilogy with Hey Nostradamus and Nineteen Minutes. Three books about the same topic with very different perspectives, all good in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read the book but I agree that a bad narrator can break even a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It can be vexing to have such an unreliable narrator like Eva.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bermudaonion ~ Of those that frequently listen to audiobooks, I have only heard raving comments about this narrator, but I have never warmed up to her. She's just not my cup of tea.

    Jennifermorrill ~ I saw it! Thank you!!! I've been having a difficult time getting my posts up lately, but hopefully it'll go up soon. :)

    Literary Feline ~ I had only heard positive remarks about this prior to listening to it, so I felt bummed that I wasn't responding as others. I so wanted to love it.

    It makes it very difficult to ever give up on other books when you have experienced the joys of plodding through one and thoroughly enjoying it. That being said, I'm more likely to plod through than not, but I have given up when just the thought of reading the book feels like torture and I've read 50 pages.

    Danielle ~ It's unique in its perspective. I think it was definitely worth the listen.

    Bonnie ~ I agree - a great book club book. My experience would have been better had I read it. I know that for sure. :)

    Raidergirl3 ~ I liked the different perspective also.

    I have Nineteen Minutes on my TBR Shelf (and on audio) and hope to get to it by the end of the year. I want to look into Hey Nostradamus.

    Carrie K ~ I hate when that happens.

    Bybee ~ We've been referring to the narrator of the audio version. I think Eva tried her best and made mistakes like the rest of us. I just don't understand why there weren't doctor visits to a psychiatrist, for example!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this a long time ago, but no, I don't remember laughing at anything Kevin said. Maybe some books are just meant to be read rather than listened to...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joanna ~ My memory is already fading regarding his comments. Although, I know that his sarcastic attitude (despite it's rebellious meaning) was humorous to me at times. And, you're right, the narrator could have played into that. The tone and inflection of his words were said in a teenage drawl that made me laugh. It did take away the seriousness of the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!