Wednesday, August 12, 2009

HATTIE BIG SKY

Author: Kirby Larson
Genre: YA Historical Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2006
Personal Rating: 3.75/5 (better than good)
Yearly Count: 96



Sixteen-year-old, orphaned Hattie, travels to Montana in 1918 to inherit a homestead from her uncle. She struggles with making it on her own, but also discovers who she is and what she is capable of doing.

There were interesting historical accounts weaved throughout the story. The war and its draft, along with the reprecusions that reverberated all the way back to Montana, and the weather that farmers were so dependent upon both created tension and apprehension between community members. However, some relationships added much needed reprieve and reciprocated love.

The lifestyle during the timeframe was researched by Larson and actually prompted by her grandmother's experience as a young, female homesteader. Hattie was a strong character and persevered in the tough living environment, but she was not without concerns. However, she focused on reaching her goal and to make the best of each situation. I liked Hattie's attitude and determination.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a book I'd love. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like books like this...great review! Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this one Joy. It sounds quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good! I love a good homesteading read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really interesting. I'm interested in this time period.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember seeing this in the library all the time and passing it by. I'll have to pick it up next time I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bermudaonion ~ I hope you get a chance to read it.

    Missy ~ This timeframe is a favorite of mine, too.

    Dar ~ It is, but I've read better - hence the rating. It really is a good YA book for sure.

    Nicola ~ Me, too! :)

    Bybee ~ It was interesting and a good read. There is world history thrown in, too.

    Rachel ~ It's engrossing, so it'll be a quick read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!