Saturday, August 15, 2009

HOLLY'S INBOX

Author: Holly Denham
Genre: Chick Lit, Series #1
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Yearly Count: 98



Holly's a new employee at a major bank in London. She works at the reception desk with a co-worker and does her best to fit in. This five month collection of Holly's e-mails has been made available for us to read, and they mainly include her friends, family members and co-workers.

I am so on the fence with stepping this up to "very good" status, because for the most part it was just frivolous nonsense; however, I was always happy to pick it up again and see what Holly and her friends were up to. It's a book that I had to be in the mood to read and I was - therefore, it worked.

I thoroughly enjoyed the e-mail format and didn't find any difficulty in reading or following along even with the many times I had to put it down (due to its length). My only complaint is that sometimes the content (s*x talk) became a bit much. Even so, I had a grin here and there throughout the book and enjoyed the various characters and the interactions between them. I think the author did a fabulous job keeping the flow of all the story lines and the depth he was able to create in such a difficult venue.



Recommended By: Bookfool from Bookfoolery and Babble



~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~



From: Joy

Hey, Trish! Thank you so much for sending me Holly's Inbox! I really needed a book like this right now and am so thankful to you. You have been such a kind soul since I met you and appreciate you more than you know.

Joy
xxx

*grin*

15 comments:

  1. I may have to click on that link to see what I said about the sex talk. I know that bugged me a bit, but the book was so fun that I whipped through it in nothing flat. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the link love, Joy! :)

    P.S. Trish is a sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Joy, I'm so embarrassed. I know there's an email from you in my inbox right now but it's still buried from my trip. I read it on my phone while we were gone but just haven't gotten the chance to go back to read it again. But I'm glad you liked the book and you're so so welcome. Glad it could bring a smile to your face. And I appreciate YOU more than you can know.

    Ok, off to get to that email!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure this book was for me, but your review makes it sounds so fun. Love the way you ended with an 'email'. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this book, too - I read it at the beach and found it to be lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bookfool ~ TEE HEE The thinking cap guy is back!!! I had a big smile when I saw him. :)

    It still took me a while to get through it, but I wasn't intimidated by it in the least. The short e-mails made it whip by for sure.

    As for Trish, yes she is! I neglected to say in the e-mail on the above post that it was a surprise offer and made me smile big time.

    Trish ~ Embarrassed!?! Why? Because you are a generous, kind-hearted person. No need to be embarrassed. :)

    Booklogged ~ My e-mail to Trish is in the format of the book - most being on the shortish side, so it goes by fast. Thanks for the compliment.

    As for fun, it was. There were some funny comments/conversation and some that made me just shake my head with a grin, but on the other hand - s*x talk abounds. There's nothing too explicit, but it was continual (once it started). If you can handle the talk and are in the mood for some chick lit, then this would be a very good choice.

    Bermudaonion ~ I wasn't on the beach, but that would be an ideal place to read it. Glad you enjoyed it, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:29 AM

    It is a fun concept, glad it worked for you. I'm still not sure if it's for me, but I'm thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this book was great fun. I had my share of laughs reading it. I'm hoping there's a sequel in the works. Glad you liked it Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got this in my stack to read and am looking forward to it. Size wise it looks fairly daunting, but I've heard it reads quite fast because of the format. Thanks for another great review, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stacybuckeye ~ Well, you can browse through it at the library and get a quick feel for it, if you are really curious.

    Dar ~ I think there is. I don't remember where I read that, but that's my understanding.

    Literary Feline ~ It still took me a while to get through it, but it wasn't taxing. Every time I picked it up I got through a big chunk and was happy to pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just won a copy of this book from Dar's blog and it arrived via Fed Ex this morning. I am looking forward to reading it and am glad that you liked it. I enjoy books written in letters but haven't read one written in emails. I could use a light read right now so it may be moved up in the TBR pile quickly!

    Loved the added touch to your review of the email to Trish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie ~ Congrats on your win! It's perfect for a light and fun read, if you don't mind the s*x talk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And yet another that I have that will be perfect for my upcoming vacation. I think I need a bigger suitcase! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Les ~ I think it's times like vacation when a Kindle would come in handy, don't ya think? Have you considered that option?

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband bought a Kindle, so I think one in the family is enough! I'm going to try and be sensible and just take four books. The odds of finishing one on each travel day, plus one each day we're gone is pretty unlikely. I'm a slow reader even under the best circumstances. I'm pretty sure I'll lots of distractions (read: a seven-year-old chattering) and won't get much reading done. I never do read much while on vacation. Maybe in December when we're on Sanibel Island, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Les ~ There might not be a lot of reading done, but I'm sure it was fun to think about what to pack. :) Hope you have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!