Thursday, August 20, 2009

SWORN TO SILENCE

Author: Linda Castillo
Genre: Thriller, Series #1
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Yearly Count: 100



Kate Burkholder grew up in the Ohio Amish country and is now the Chief of Police. Kate is faced with a serial killer in her jurisdiction, and at the same time, is faced with her past. She must do everything possible to catch this evil person while protecting her and her family's secret.

Kate is a likable, flawed character. Her team consists of people of varying ages and life circumstances making it a well-rounded group. In general, the plot follows a typical formula for thrillers, but does a great job in setting up the series. I'm thrilled to have found this new-to-me author at the beginning of it. I'm interested in the Amish culture, so the contrast with police encounters is intriguing to me.

This is not a book for the squeamish, though. There is extremely descriptive violence of the tortured victims and crude language. That was a bit difficult to get through. Also, I listened to this thriller and would have preferred to read it. The narrator's rendition of the male characters and the Pennsylvania-Dutch language didn't set well with me. I do not think it would bother others, though. I've discovered that I prefer my books to be read flat. Next time I will skip the audio version and pick up the book. I'm looking forward it.

9 comments:

  1. It's funny, I can read something like this, but I could never watch it or listen to it, so it would definitely have to be the print version for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ I'm like that, too! I could never, never watch it (and don't), but reading it doesn't bother me as much. I don't like listening to it either, but the inflections and changes in voice for characters annoys me more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:54 AM

    I live about an hour away from Ohio Amish country, so maybe I should check this out. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacybuckeye ~ Me, too! I've actually been there (Ohio Amish country) to shop. When we were in Pennsylvania, we did the whole Amish tourist stuff. The Amish man who drove us in his buggy answered all our questions and loved it. He was a midget and it was mentioned in the book that that is a common occurrence in the community. I never knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, glad to hear you liked it! I'm like the others though, I could never listen to this type of book. You know how crazy I am about reading serial killer books but listening and watching, yuck! no way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, good to know that this is a good read! I have an ARC and my have to throw it in my suitcase later this week. Might be a good one to read on a long flight, right? Or by the pool? Or on the beach? :)

    The Girl With the Dragon tattoo was also quite violent (dealing with tortured victims, too), but I still enjoyed the mystery and characters. Have you read it? I can't recall. Off to do a search on your blog to see...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicola ~ LOL I was brave. Actually I have no idea until I heard it. EEK!

    Les ~ I know you have an ARC! I was so jealous, especially 'cause I didn't get one. *green grin* I was going to check it out from the library, but stumbled upon the audiobook. I can get to books quicker if I listen to them and I was eager to get to this one, so I was a happy camper. I'm really looking forward to the next one. I think Holly's Inbox would be best for your vacation.

    No, I haven't read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but it's on my TBR Shelf and have heard it calling my name! However, In the Woods (French) is calling louder. As soon as I get some more of these ARCs read, I'm going to get back to my TBR Shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read the copy I received from Marcia at Printed Page. Sounds like an excellent read!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Staci ~ It's a violent one, but good. I'll definitely read the 2nd in the series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!