Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I HATE TO SEE THAT EVENING SUN GO DOWN

Author: William Gay
Genre: Short Story Collection
Published: I Hate to See That Evening Sun Go Down, 2002
Personal Rating: 3.5/5 (good )
(ss) Yearly Count: 134


There wasn't much diversity in the emotion department in this collection. All the stories were filled with sad, depressing or gloomy feelings. While most of the stories were engaging, I did become tired of experiencing dreariness. And, the lack of quotation marks was not helpful either. However, overall I enjoyed the writing, especially the fact that Gay was able to draw me into his stories even when I knew they were not going to turn out well. The average rating of all 13 stories correlates with my general feelings by the end of the book.

The following are the individual titles and links to my thoughts:














3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that overall you enjoyed this one!!! I was a bit worried there at times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was it about this book that made you pick it up initially? Had you read rave reviews? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staci ~ Thanks for keeping up with me! I appreciated every comment. :)

    Les ~ I was talking to some friends about short stories and my growing desire to read more and this author was mentioned. A friend thought highly of his work, so I decided to give him a try. I did look him up on Amazon after the recommendation and from what I remember now, I certainly wasn't dissuaded. I will not pick up any more by him, though. I need some uplifting or at the very least neutral endings. All doom and gloom is not my type of reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!