Wednesday, December 02, 2009

LABOR DAY

Author: Joyce Maynard
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Yearly Count: 139



As an adult, Henry tells his story beginning at the age of 13. Henry lives with his divorced mom and barely tolerates his visits with his father and his new family. Trying to figure life out as he's muddling through adolescence, he meets a man in need of help during a trip to the grocery store with his mom. His mother decides to help the man out and life then becomes even more difficult for Henry to figure out.

This book carried an off kilter vibe for me, but I think that was part of the charm. Explaining details about it to someone else makes it sound a little preposterous, but I was too drawn into the characters to even care. What made the book for me was hearing it from Henry's perspective. I thought that was done very well and totally believable.

This was my first encounter with Joyce Maynard, and I have already acquired another one (Where Love Goes) since reading this book. I'm looking forward to reading her work again. I like her style.

I tried to get this ARC when it first came out, but unfortunately I was not one of the lucky ones. However, Les from Lesley's Book Nook had a copy of it and promptly sent it to me when she was done. Thank you so much Les! I really enjoyed it and appreciate your generosity.

12 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book! I felt so for poor Henry since he felt responsible for his mother's happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Labor Day, and read The Christmas Sweater last year as well. Glad u enjoyed these as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Labor Day. It's the first book by Joyce Maynard for me too but it won't be the last. I was actually surprised by how much I liked the book! I haven't read The Christmas Sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious about this one, and also To Die For.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, Joy! I think I read Where Love Goes years and years ago, but must've loaned it out. I don't see it on my shelves. Do you plan to read The Usual Rules? It's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:05 PM

    I've read nothing but positive things about this book, so it's already on my wish list. Now I really want to get to it, like NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not familiar with this author, but I've got this on my to-read list. I'm glad to see that you liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bermudaonion ~ As my first Maynard, she has intrigued me. I'm looking forward to reading more by her. Have you read any others by her?

    Diane ~ I'm happy to have gotten some good reads in a row. Glad to know that you enjoyed them, too.

    Mary ~ Whenever I think of it, I am reminded of its oddity. I'm not sure why those are my lasting impressions. Those are still good memories, though.

    Charley ~ Hmmm, I'll have to look into that one as well. :)

    Les ~ Thank you, again, for sending me the book. I'm so happy that I read it. I love being introduced to a new author that I enjoy. And, yes!, I plan on reading The Usual Rules. I bought the hardcover on Bookcloseouts for peanuts, and it is now residing on my shelf. I think that makes 3 books by her. :)

    Stacybuckeye ~ I hope you do. It's a good one.

    Alisonwonderland ~ I have discovered that you'll have a lot to choose from once you are introduced. That's always a good thing to know when you enjoy a new author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've enjoyed the other Maynard books I've read. I have this one in my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth F ~ That's great to know, Beth. I'm looking forward to more by her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait to hear what you think of The Usual Rules. I need to read that again. Hmmm, maybe a book club nomination....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Les ~ I'm looking forward to The Usual Rules, but I have no idea when I'll get to it. With having limited time to read, it takes me forever and a day to get through one book! Especially when I pass out after only a few pages. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!