Tuesday, December 22, 2009

TEARS OF THE DESERT

Author: Halima Bashir
Genre: Memoir, Standalone
Published: 2008
Personal Rating: 4.5/5 (excellent)
Yearly Count: 142



Halima grew up in a Darfur village with her mother, father, grandmother, 2 bothers and 1 sister. She shares the ups and horrific downs of her life beginning with her childhood. The customs of her people are explained and described - some of which were fascinating and others that were unbelievably atrocious. Eventually, Halima brings the harrowing event of genocide to the forefront, while sharing her heart and determination to live. Her story is remarkable and one that I will not soon forget.

6 comments:

  1. Just wanted to stop by to say Happy Holidays to you an yours. Thanks for being a loyal blogging buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you - this is a very powerful book that caused me to shed many a tear. The author is absolutely remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this sounds fantastic! I really enjoy books like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds extremely moving!! I'm not sure if I've read a memoir about Darfur...will have to read this one for sure!!

    Happy Holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you liked this one so much, Joy. I really hope that Halima and her family are reunited soon. I occasionally do a google search in hope of such good news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane ~ Oh! Thank you, Diane! Happy Holidays to you and yours, too. I am grateful for your blogging friendship. :)

    Bermudaonion ~ I continue to talk about this book with anyone that'll listen - and even those that won't. :)

    Sheila ~ If that's the case - pick it up! It's definitely worth the read. Halima is quite the woman! I listened to this, but I would like to purchase the book. It is a keeper.

    Staci ~ It's a new "Staci" pic! Very nice! :)

    If you haven't read any Darfur-related books, you need to read this one. Halima's story is easy to understand and you get the whole picture through her personal life. Like I said - remarkable woman/book. (I wonder if you have made any more vlogs with your son. Ahhh! I haven't been able to keep up with anything!)

    Literary Feline ~ I was wondering about that, too. Thank you for reminding me to do a search instead of staying in the wondering mode. :) The Internet is a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!