Monday, March 08, 2010

LITTLE BEE

Author: Chris Cleave
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Yearly Count: 19



This dually narrated story is based on the lives of two females, one being a 16-year-old and another being a married woman with a 4-year-old son who believes he's Batman. These two women have nothing in common until one day they meet on a beach. Their lives are forever intertwined.

The greatest strength in this book was its ability to keep me turning the pages. I love when a book does that. Cleave did a great job in revealing the plot with interesting characters. However, there were several pieces to the book that I didn't feel fit the situation, and I didn't find a major distinction in the narrators. On a couple of occasions, I had to remind myself or figure out who was speaking. You would think the age difference alone would place a large enough gap in the language. Regardless, it was a compelling read and one that I'm glad I finally got to.

12 comments:

  1. I liked this one a lot too. It made me think about a lot of different things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of my favorite books of 2009; glad u liked it.....very different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I followed you over here from Jennifer's blog. I am actually in the process of writing the review for this book. I've had a difficult time figuring out what to say about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:46 PM

    I almost got this book the other day but wasn't sure...I always depend on you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got this one on my to-read list. I'm glad to hear that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this one...think I gave it a 5. It truly moved me and like you I couldn't stop turning those pages!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was one of my favorites in 2009. Did you listen to an audio or read the printed format? Wonder if that made the difference in following the narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to get a copy of this and read it soon. It's calling my name:) I like books that pull you in and the pages turn quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bermudaonion ~ There were a lot of subject matters that one could discuss from this book - for sure!

    Diane ~ I agree. I liked Cleave's ability to tell a story in a totally unique way.

    Jenny ~ I hope you liked it. :) I'll have to track yours down to see what you came up with.

    Danielle ~ Eek! Pressure! :) I hope you haven't been disappointed with any of my favorites.

    Alisonwonderland ~ I'm thinking you will as well.

    Staci ~ I definitely turned the pages, but I seem to be going through some sort of gray area - nothing seems to be worthy of a 5 or even a 4.5. :( I keep searching and hoping.

    Les ~ I read it.

    Bonnie ~ Oh! You haven't read this one, yet! Happy Reading, Bonnie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy to see you liked this one. I downloaded it on my reader a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked this one a lot when I read it. I'm not a good book group person, but this is one that I thought was a good discussion book. Lots to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Darlene ~ I hope you enjoy it. I imagine you will. :) You got mail.

    Suzi ~ Yes indeedy, I agree. Maybe some of my thoughts of inconsistent behavior could have been cleared up.

    It's nice to see you. :) I don't know how you keep up with blogging and working full time. It has taken months and months for me to get acclimated, but still aren't able to comment and browse online as much as I would like. I have to wait for breaks like this (spring break) to catch up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!