Thursday, March 11, 2010

PUSH

Author: Sapphire
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 1996
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Yearly Count: 20



Clareece Precious Jones narrates her life of abuse and redemption.

Oh my. This was an extremely difficult book to read. The raw language, brutality and just plain ugliness is very heart-wrenching. I was in the position of knitted brows and open mouth throughout most of the book due to its shock value. It was very difficult to grasp the cruelty. What I liked was that I really wanted to know what was going to happen to Precious, so I kept turning those pages. However, I'm not so sure I want to see the movie anymore - too much hardship and very disturbing. I don't think I'm interested in watching what I read.

7 comments:

  1. I thought this was an outstanding book, too. You must see the movie now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must read this book and I will probably have to watch the movie too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an extremely difficult book for me to read as well. It is very powerful and has a message that is just as powerful. I do want to see the movie but I'll have to brace myself first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bermudaonion ~ Well, my only reason would be to see the actress that played Precious. I hear she was phenomenal.

    Staci ~ That was my original reason for reading the book.

    Bonnie ~ I suppose being that I know what it's all about I wouldn't be as shocked as I was while reading the book. I will rethink my decision. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really have no desire to read this book or see the movie. Sounds too depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:56 PM

    I'm thinking of skipping the book and watching the movie. I don't know if I want to do both either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Les ~ It is, but I was so curious once the movie came out that I had to give it a go.

    Stacybuckeye ~ Supposedly the actress who played Precious was incredible. If you do see it, let me/us know!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!