Monday, May 31, 2010

SHOOT TO THRILL

Author: P.J. Tracy
Genre: Mystery, Series #5
Published: 2010
Personal Rating: 3.75/5 (better than good)
Yearly Count: 42


The Monkeewrench crew has been recruited to assist the FBI in a case that involves videos of murders that are being posted on the Web.

It's been 4 years since the last Monkeewrench appearance, and I'm delighted to see them back. I'm not so sure how this one would read to newcomers of the series, because there didn't seem to be a lot of background information on the crew. However, the crew did what the crew does best and that's use their computer skills to help solve crimes. The interaction of quips and playful teasing between Monkeewrench, the FBI agent John Smith and the local police detectives Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth was a highlight. And, while the story line was interesting and kept me turning the pages, there was some wordiness and a scene or two that caused an eye-roll or a "yeah right" comment, but overall it was an enjoyable read.

7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one and am fighting the urge to buy it in hardcover since I know I won't be able to get to it anytime soon.

    I am glad you enjoyed this one overall, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Literary Feline ~ HI!!! About 15 minutes ago I went through your posts on my Google Reader and was going to post on a couple, then I was interrupted. I just came back and see that you commented here! Too funny. I'll be by shortly. :)

    As for Shoot to Thrill - I'm really, really happy to have them (the crew and P.J. Tracy) back. I missed them. I've really enjoyed the series and this addition was no different. I just couldn't bring myself to say it was "very good." Unfortunately, that's been my reading life this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've missed the MonkeeWrench gang too and am eager to read this one. I'm glad you enjoyed it (even if it didn't quite make "very good").

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know the MonkeeWrench gang, but it sounds like a group I'd enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I. Can't. Wait! I just need to carve out a weekend and give this a read. I've missed the Gang, especially Leo and Gino. Sorry it wasn't a 5-star read, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you found this one to be enjoyable!!! Especially after the last few you read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alisonwonderland ~ Hi there! How are you? It's great to see you. :) I really like this series, so even though it was only "better than good," I'm happy.

    Bermudaonion ~ Start at the beginning! The characters would be flat if you started here.

    Les ~ I really like Leo and Gino, as well. I look forward to your thoughts.

    Staci ~ I'm trying to read good books. I really am. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!