Thursday, September 02, 2010

MY NAME IS MARY SUTTER

Author: Robin Oliveira
Genre: Historical Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2010
Personal Rating: 3.5/5 (good)
Yearly Count: 78


Mary Sutter, mid-wife in Albany, New York chooses to make her way to Washington, D.C. to assist the wounded soldiers in the Civil War.

I enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was near what the hype (overabundance of high praise) has proclaimed. The time frame and setting kept me intrigued, but the characters were lacking - especially Mary! For all her desire to love, learn and assist the wounded, she lacked compassion. She was driven, for sure, but all real, true emotions were void. I've had another peek into the Civil War and learned a few things, but a tinge of disappointment lingers. However, it was still a good book.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:08 PM

    I felt the same way. I never "got" Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like the main character would have to be very strong to carry this book. Too bad she wasn't for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne ~ I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. It came to a point when I thought she would change due to circumstances, but she never did. I guess it was just who she was. Apparently others didn't see her in the same light.

    Bermudaonion ~ She was strong in a goal oriented way, but not personality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:26 PM

    Hmmm...I seem to be hearing more comments like this as time has passed. I hope to read it in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay ~ Oh really?!? I liked it, but not near as much as I could have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you tried this one. I liked it more than you it seems, but I had the audio version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bibliophile By the Sea ~ I listened to it also. It would have been a little more difficult getting through it had I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bibliophile By the Sea ~ That didn't come out exactly like I meant. What I meant to say is that the audio keeps the story moving along with personality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one that I truly want to read probably because of all of the hype and praise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Staci ~ It was good. You'll probably like it more than me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good, but not great, eh? I think I'll wait and see what Kay has to say. If she agrees with your review, I'll pass. I'm not really in the mood right now for mediocre books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Les ~ Hmm Are we ever in the mood for mediocre books? :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't love this one either!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holly ~ It had great potential, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!