Thursday, December 02, 2010

LEFT NEGLECTED

Author: Lisa Genova
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2011
Personal Rating: 4.5/5 (excellent)
Yearly Count:  106



From the Publisher:


Sarah Nickerson is like any other career-driven supermom in Welmont, the affluent Boston suburb where she leads a hectic but charmed life with her husband Bob, faithful nanny, and three children—Lucy, Charlie, and nine-month-old Linus. 

Between recruiting the best and brightest minds as the vice president of human resources at Berkley Consulting; shuttling the kids to soccer, day care, and piano lessons; convincing her son's teacher that he may not, in fact, have ADD; and making it home in time for dinner, it's a wonder this over-scheduled, over-achieving Harvard graduate has time to breathe.


A self-confessed balloon about to burst, Sarah miraculously manages every minute of her life like an air traffic controller. Until one fateful day, while driving to work and trying to make a phone call, she looks away from the road for one second too long. In the blink of an eye, all the rapidly moving parts of her jam-packed life come to a screeching halt. 


A traumatic brain injury completely erases the left side of her world, and for once, Sarah relinquishes control to those around her, including her formerly absent mother. Without the ability to even floss her own teeth, she struggles to find answers about her past and her uncertain future. 


Now, as she wills herself to regain her independence and heal, Sarah must learn that her real destiny—her new, true life—may in fact lie far from the world of conference calls and spreadsheets. And that a happiness and peace greater than all the success in the world is close within reach, if only she slows down long enough to notice.

I absolutely love Lisa's ability to give her characters voice. She is a pro! Just like the family in Still Alice, this one came to life as well; they could actually be people I know. I don't have a lingering deep connection with the characters, but did care about each and every one of them during my read. Family life, sports and lessons, careers, date nights, skiing in Vermont - they couldn't be more relatable.

Unfortunately, this is the second book that I'm so on-the-fence in rating. Like the other, I have given it the benefit of the doubt and went with the higher rating. One reason for contemplating a quarter point lower is due to the fact that I don't care for dreams in my reading. Unfortunately, each chapter in the first half of the book opens with a dream. That caused me to experience a minor cringe every time. (odd, I know)  Another reason is that there were some plot points that were a little dramatic or maybe a little too set-up, but those were minor annoyances, nothing overbearing.


Lisa does an excellent job in helping others (us readers) to understand very complex brain glitches.  What a fabulous way to learn, and you don't even know it's happening!  Like I said - she's a pro!  






My thanks go to Simon & Schuster for sending me this e-Galley.  Left Neglected is scheduled to be published on January 4, 2011.


20 comments:

  1. I really want to read this one. The book sounds good and the cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ I have no doubt that you'll enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not wait to get my hands on this one. I put a hold on it from my library. I loved Still Alice and I'm sure that I'll enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, great rating. I'll keep an eye out for this one. However, I hate dreams in books as well. Really hate. That sounds like a lot of dreams too. I still haven't read Still Alice; I'll likely start with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swapped away my copy of Still Alice, last year, because I wasn't in the mood to read about a dying mother when I'd just lost mine. But, this one really appeals to me. And, I'm sure I'll get to Still Alice, someday, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bermudaonion ~ Added response: It's really interesting how a cover can draw or repel a reader, isn't it?

    Staci ~ I think Alice is the best character I have ever met! I can't believe I still think of her. She made such an incredible impact on me. You will love this book, too. I'm sure of it. :)

    Raidergirl3 ~ I find comfort in the fact that you are a dream-hater. LOL None of my IRL friends share my angst. The good news about the dreams in Left Neglected is that they are short, so you immerse yourself back in the real story quickly.

    Bookfool ~ Wise move on waiting to read Still Alice. Excellent book, but it hits deep. This one isn't as powerful, but definitely a worthy read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Still Alice on my TBR bookshelf and have heard wonderful things about this authors writing. Glad to hear that you like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie ~ She is one of my favorite authors, albeit she has only written two books, buy hey - I loved them both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for reading LEFT NEGLECTED and for taking the time to share this fantastic review on your blog! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa Genova ~ What a wonderful surprise to see you here! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. :)

    I'm so thankful that you are sharing your gift of writing with us. Your books hold much more than just stories. They are filled with wonderful characters, life lessons to be learned and knowledge to be gained - to name a few. Right from the get-go they are engaging and so very realistic. In a word - gems!

    I hope you are in the process of writing your next book. If so, can you give a hint as to the topic? Oh dear. Left Neglected hasn't even been published yet, and I'm already eager for the next. I suppose that's a good sign from your perspective, but it's torture for me.

    May your holidays be filled with peace and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does sound like an interesting read!!! I've had Still Alice on my wishlist for some time now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Samantha.1020 ~ You've got some fantastic reading ahead of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you again! My next book is called LOVE ANTHONY, and I've just started it--I have 3 children (ages 10, 3, and 3 months), and I've already started calling them the wrong names. I'm still doing STILL ALICE events, about to begin doing LEFT NEGLECTED events, and writing LOVE ANTHONY--I just know I'm going to start saying Alice when I mean Sarah, or John when I mean Bob, or I'll call Olivia (new character) Sarah. LOVE ANTHONY is about a boy with autism and unconditional love.

    If you're on facebook, join me at www.facebook.com/authorlisagenova to stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I enjoyed (loved!) this one a little bit more than you. I gave it a 5/5 rating, but then, I didn't mind the dream sequences. I actually enjoyed the connection between them and Sarah's real world.

    Isn't Genova a fabulous writer?! I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. I'm still thinking about Alice and Sarah.

    Have you read Lee & Bob Woodruff's In An Instant? I'm thinking about giving it a read later this winter. And then maybe I'll go back and re-read both of Lisa's. Love her characters!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa Genova ~ Love Anthony sounds like another terrific novel; I'm already warming up to him! The topic of autism is so prevalent today that I'm sure it will be received well. (That's for those that haven't read your other two, those that have will gobble it up ASAP.)

    LOL about inadvertently swapping names. Just don't call anybody your pet's name like I have! :)

    I did open a Facebook account (had to for something or another), but never have used it. There just isn't enough time in a day to do all that I would like.

    Oh boy! Olivia and Anthony - can't wait to meet them!

    You have a fun holiday season upon you with 3 little ones! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Les ~ There was one thing I did like about the dreams, but I'm not going to mention it here. It wouldn't give anything away, but I'm tight-lipped about details in a book. :)

    Ummm, I haven't even heard of In An Instant. Should I be embarrassed? I'll look it up.

    So - I'm concerned about Cody. (At least he's a real person and not a character!) *grin* His recent history indicates that he would have a new book out by now, wouldn't he? He hasn't posted on his blog or responded to comments for quite some time now. Eek.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It has been a while since he posted on his blog, hasn't it? You want to drop him an email? His addy is: codymc12@gmail.com. You can tell him his blogmates miss him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Les ~ I have left a comment on his blog and emailed him through his publisher (I'm assuming), so I'm afraid that he'll think I'm stalking him if I email again. :/ I think I'll wait until the new year and give him a holler. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous6:17 PM

    This looks really interesting. I'll add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stacybuckeye ~ I hope you read it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!