Wednesday, December 15, 2010

SOMEONE KNOWS MY NAME

Author: Lawrence Hill
Genre: Historical Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2007
Personal Rating: 4.5/5 (excellent)
Yearly Count: 109



"Though this work is built on the foundations of history, in some instances I have knowingly bent facts to suit the purposes of the novel."

Lawrence Hill

At the age of 11, in 1756, Aminata and her parents were kidnapped from Africa and shipped to the United States to be sold as slaves.  Now as an old woman, Aminata tells her life story.

What a fantastic, heart-wrenching, educational book! Through Aminata's eyes we experience where she traveled, what she endured and who she encountered throughout many decades. This abhorrent practice in our history comes alive, yet due to Aminata's strength and courage, hope remained alive, as well.

Lawrence Hill's words were absolutely magical. Someone Knows My Name was such a powerful story, and it's one that I won't soon forget.

12 comments:

  1. Wow! This sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ I sure thought it was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about reading this one, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of this one...and I'm always looking to be further educated!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charley ~ I encourage you to stop thinking about it and just pick it up. :)

    Staci ~ I learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed the process. I hope you do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, that sounds like a good, educational read. Thanks, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I trust you opinion, Joy. I'll give it a read in 2011. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bookfool ~ It's just like many books about the holocaust - horrible subject, but well written.

    Les ~ Oh good! I imagine you'll appreciate Hill's writing.

    FYI - Your nephew is putting on a mini-concert for everybody that I can get to listen. :) I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing Steve's music with your friends! He really is a talented young man. I hope he can do something with his music, but I guess he'll always have it to play for his own enjoyment if he goes into a different field.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Les ~ It's been my pleasure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now this is funny. I don't know if it was the build up, since this book won Canada Reads two years ago, but I didn't enjoy it that much. It was okay, but I had to force myself to continue after page 70. I was ready to quit, it was so horrific. A friend convinced me that it got better, but I'm not sure I agree. It was just too much awfulness. It didn't stay as awful, but I wasn't the biggest fan. It was okay, but I didn't love it. I know lots of people in Canada, where it was called The Book of Negroes, loved it.
    Also, did you know his brother is Dan Hill, the musician? He might only be known in Canada.
    It takes all kinds! (of people and books)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Raidergirl3 ~ I'd never heard a thing about this book, so thankfully I had no build up. I've read several books about the civil war here in the US, but never followed the path of a "slave." There definitely were some parts (okay, a lot of parts) that were horrific, but just like books based on the holocaust, I was able to be absorbed the story yet truly viewed it as a learning tool. And like the holocaust, I'm astounded that this happened.

    I'm sorry you didn't care for it. It was a little lengthy to keep plugging away. Eek.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!