Monday, December 13, 2010

NAUGHTY: NINE TALES OF CHRISTMAS CRIME

Author: Steve Hockensmith
Published: Naughty: Nine Tales of Christmas Crime, 2010
Genre: Short Story Collection
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
(ss) Yearly Count:  108


This ebook collection contained 9 Christmas crime stories. A couple towards the end referred to earlier stories which made for neat connections. All the stories consisted of interesting characters and a bit of wit from Steve.  At the end of the ebook, it's mentioned that there may be another gathering of Steve's stories. I'll definitely get that collection as well. It will be interesting to see what he can do with other topics.

My final rating is not the average of the individual stories, simply because I enjoyed the ebook as a whole more than the collective average would have indicated.

The following are the individual titles and links to my thoughts:


1. Fruitcake

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ It was a fun, atypical holiday read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you enjoyed this collection overall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The premise definitely has me intrigued so I scanned through your thoughts on the individual stories and think this is one I'll check out! Seems you really enjoyed the authors style even if some stories fell a little flatter than others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trish (aka Mom-to-Be) ~ I noticed that the stories I really enjoyed were the real people kind of stories. The others have more traditional Christmas characters (Santa, elves, etc.). The whole collection would probably appeal to those that like the idea of Christmas Crime in the first place. I think I would enjoy an actual novel (sans fantasy) written by him for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:48 AM

    Thanks for reviewing Naughty! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy every story, but hey -- I guess that's to be expected with most collections, and I'm glad my batting average was still pretty good overall.

    Happy holidays!

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve ~ There's definitely no need for an apology. :) I really enjoyed your writing style and have already uploaded the first in your Holmes on the Range series to my iPod. I look forward to listening to it. I'll be watching for your next short story collection, too.

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    Happy Holidays to you, as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!