Saturday, January 22, 2011

DELIRIUM

Author: Lauren Oliver
Genre: YA Dystopian, Trilogy #1
Published: 2011
Personal Rating: 3.5/5 (good)
Format:  eBook - iPad
Yearly Count: 6



From the Publisher:

Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.


With all the rave reviews of Before I Fall, I couldn't wait to read this one.  A dystopian world setting is a big draw for me, and this did not disappoint.  The origins of the world could have been more developed, but I still bought in.  The story line was suspenseful, but it was very drawn out - I was clicking those pages to get to something, more so than clicking to get to more.

The dialog made me roll my eyes at times, making it feel very YA-like.  I didn't like that.  Yes, it's YA, but once again, many YA novels I read do not feel like YA.  Also, the opening of every chapter has a quote or statement from various sources, and that didn't appeal to me either, but it didn't hurt the book.    

While I didn't find it to be stellar in writing or plot, I did enjoy reading it, and that's a good thing. My rating is a reflection of my desire to read the second in this trilogy. I definitely want to know what is going to happen next.  The very, very last scene was a great way to create curiosity; however, I thought how they got to the very, very last scene was somewhat silly or corny.





My thanks go to HarperCollins & NetGalley for sending me this eGalley.  It will be published on February 1, 2011. 

6 comments:

  1. I still have to read Before I Fall!!! I want to read this one too even with the corn last scene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dystopians so I may look into this one. A trilogy, though, huh? Well if you want to read the second one, I'm sure it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you liked this one. I have an ARC copy and look forward to reading it. I still need to read Before I Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staci ~ I've only seen one negative review of this one. Hope you love it.

    3M ~ Well, it's good YA. When I think about it, I remember some childish, lovesick scenes. However, I think the YA feelings were near target.

    Bonnie ~ I want to read that one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently read this one and thought it was terrific. I read Before I Fall earlier this year and thought it was amazing. I'm really looking forward to reading more from Lauren Oliver!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alisonwonderland ~ Glad to hear it! I still haven't read Before I Fall. There are just too many others calling louder.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!