Thursday, March 03, 2011

CHAINS

Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
Genre: YA Historical Fiction, Trilogy?
Published: 2010
Personal Rating: 3.75/5 (good +)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count: 15


In 1776, Isabel and her 5-year-old sister were sold to Loyalists in Manhattan after the death of their master in Rhode Island. Isabel does everything in her power to become free.

I was fully engaged in Isabel's story until the last quarter.  It simply no longer captivated my attention. I don't know what happened, but my interest just petered out. It certainly could have been a lack of patience on my part, but it is what it is. Despite my drifting, this was a terrific way to learn about slavery and the politics surrounding it.

7 comments:

  1. I love Anderson's work, so I really want to read this. You've got me wondering about the ending though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ I think you'll love it. My waning interest was probably more about me than the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that this book is really good. Too bad it didn't have your total interest throughout though. I've only read Wintergirls by her but I'd love to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved this one Joy...and look forward to reading 'Forge' which sits on my library shelves!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darlene ~ This was my fourth book written by her, and I have enjoyed them all.

    Staci ~ I really think the older I get - the shorter my attention span. That's why short stories are perfect for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read Speak by this author but I do want to read more by her. This book sounds interesting...I'll have to remember to pick it up from the library next time that I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Samantha ~ It's a favorite of many. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!