Thursday, March 03, 2011

THE SENTRY

Author: Robert Crais
Genre: Mystery, Joe Pike Series #3
Published: 2011
Personal Rating:  3/5 (just okay)
Format:  Book
Yearly Count:  14




From Robert Crais' Website:

Dru Rayne and her uncle fled to L.A. after Hurricane Katrina; but now, five years later, they face a different danger. When Joe Pike witnesses Dru's uncle beaten by a protection gang, he offers his help, but neither of them want it-and neither do the federal agents mysteriously watching them.


As the level of violence escalates, and Pike himself becomes a target, he and Elvis Cole learn that Dru and her uncle are not who they seem- and that everything he thought he knew about them has been a lie. A vengeful and murderous force from their past is now catching up to them . . . and only Pike and Cole stand in the way.


It has become very apparent to me that I prefer Pike as the sidekick to Cole instead of visa-versa. Pike's quiet, dark, mysterious nature is spoiled as the frontrunner.  So, part of my disappointment stems from that reality, while the other part concerning Pike was his reaction/attraction to Dru. It was uncharacteristic and not believable.

I did like the beginning in how the mystery evolved and, of course, the relationship between Pike and Cole. Cole went a little over the top in a scene or two, but whatever. I still like them as a team, however, I may just stick to the Cole series and let this one go.







My thanks go to LibraryThing Early Reviewers program and Putnam Adult (Penguin) for sending me this ARC.

4 comments:

  1. I've never tried Crais's work, but have a couple in my TBR pile. Now I have to figure out which series they're from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ I think you already know what series I would recommend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this author...not sure if I want to start a series but I enjoyed reading your thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For real? He has two series and 3 standalone books. One of my first introductions to him (before he became popular) was his standalone Hostage. It actually became a movie. I think maybe a made for TV movie. I don't remember now. Anyway, I really liked that book and found his series from there. His second series has only been around for a few years, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!