Wednesday, March 09, 2011

WIFE OF THE GODS

Author: Kwei Quartey
Genre: Mystery, Darko Dawson Series #1
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 4.25/5 (very good +)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count:  17


Detective Inspector Darko Dawson working in the capital city of Accra, Ghana, is assigned a case in a small, remote village where a murder has occurred. He was chosen specifically due to his familiarity with the area (relatives live there) and his ability to speak the language.

Oh, I liked this book. A lot. Darko is a wonderful new character to the police procedural/mystery genre. He is a stellar inspector and devoted family man, but he has some anger issues, as well as, a nasty habit. Sounds like a real person, doesn't he? :)

I was intrigued by the plot the whole way through because there was so much more going on around the case. I don't care to read about witchcraft or anything along those lines, and there was some of that.  However, it fit with the old customs of the village and didn't pose a problem for me at all.

I'm so glad that I got to this one now, because the second in this series is being published in July. I want to stay on top of it, so I plan on getting to it as soon as possible.

8 comments:

  1. Yes! I too really liked this book and am really looking forward to the next one. Hopefully the follow up will be as strong.
    I liked Darko and his complex character, and the mix of old and new customs.

    I heard of this book from a fellow teacher, who was interested in the Ghana setting, because she had travelled there as a pre-service teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea this was going to be a series - I need to read this one soon, I guess. It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raidergirl3 ~ I picked this one up randomly and am so glad I did. I'm really looking forward to the next!

    That's interesting about your fellow teacher . . . Ghana! I'm imaging an incredible experience. :)

    Bermudaonion ~ I really, really liked it! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:00 PM

    My mystery book group read this one last year. We all enjoyed it and I especially enjoyed learning more about Ghana. Looking forward to the next installment this summer. Glad it worked well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay ~ It did work out well! I think I'm going to stop by your blog to see what you had to say.

    I've had the first Delany book ready and waiting for me. I hope to get to it before the summer ends. Oh my! I can't believe I have summer on the brain, especially when we are expecting snow flurries today. Maybe that's why!!! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I picked this one up last year from the library and never got to it..I should change that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Staci ~ I didn't pick it up when it first came out because I thought it would be too much like McCall's series. It's not. This book has more depth in character and plot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Staci ~ Okay - that would be Alexander McCall Smith. :) McCall was obviously all that stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!