Thursday, April 28, 2011

BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY

Author:  Ruta Sepetys
Genre:  YA Historical Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2011
Personal Rating:  5/5
(absolutely outstanding)
Format:  Book
Yearly Count:  29


From Ruta Sepetys' Website:

Between 1940 - 1953, the Soviets imprisoned and deported over 300,000 Lithuanians.  They were shipped via cattle car across Europe into Asia to die in the forests of Siberia.  My family members were among them.  In total, Lithuania lost over a third of its population doing the Soviet reign of terror.

* * * * * * *

Fifteen-year-old Lina Vilkas is arrested by the Soviet secret police and deported to Siberia with her mother and younger brother.  Her father is sentenced to death in a Soviet prison camp.  Lina fights for her life, vowing that if she survives, she will honor her family, and the thousands like her, by burying her complete story in a jar on Lithuanian soil.  Lina's writings chronicle her experience, her struggle to accept help from a kind Soviet guard she's supposed to hate, and retain her dignity without losing all faith in mankind.


I've been pondering the YA label.  I'm glad that having that label makes it more readily available to teens, but at the same time I'm concerned it may turn some adults away.  It's too good to be only in the hands of teens, so I hope that word gets out that this is a valuable read to teens and adults alike.

Between Shades of Gray grabbed me right from the start, and I never wanted to put it down.  There were so many lines that choked me up or brought me to tears, and others that I felt deeply just because I was so engrossed in the story.  It was compelling. I have no doubt that Lina and her family will remain in my thoughts for quite some time to come.  

After reading the book, I watched the video clip of Ruta on Amazon and was amazed once again at the story she has shared.

Outstanding.  Absolutely outstanding.  





My thanks go to Philomel Books (a division of Penguin Young Readers Group) and Shelf Awareness for sending me this ARC.

10 comments:

  1. I loved this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:43 PM

    I've got a copy of this packed away right now. Looking forward to it, especially after seeing your 5/5 rating.

    P.S. Can't find your email address. Would you like my ARC of the new Linda Castillo book? Give me a shout. Mine's in my profile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one reader that when you post a 5 star book review I totally sit up and listen! I'm so going to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bermudaonion ~ It's definitely a keeper! However, I've already loaned it out. :)

    Kay ~ I look forward to your thoughts on this one, Kay. And, YES! I would love your ARC. Thank you so much for the offer. I'll be in touch via email soon.

    Staci ~ The more I don't give 5s, the harder it is, so I really need to be less stingy! :) (It's a bummer because there is one for sure that really deserved it. One day I may go back and fix it.) I think what makes me actually step into that realm of 5s is the way in which the book makes me feel deeply either in a happy, giddy way or sad, disheartening way. This one did that. Remember that it is based on historical facts as you're reading. It is just so very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had this on my to-read list already but I'm glad to see that you recommend it so heartily. I love YA books that are equally good for adults. (Actually I love YA books in general, but I think you know what I mean ...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alisonwonderland ~ Yep, I know what you mean. :) I understand that it's difficult for us to know everything that has gone on in the world, but I'm glad Ruta took this project on and shared it in such a way that many people can learn about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this book on my shelves and am so excited to read it now after reading your review. Hopefully, I can fit reading it in with the month of May :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Samantha.1020 ~ It's a fast read, so I'm thinking you can squeeze it in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Staci. When you rave about a book, I take notice. I have an ARC of this book in my stacks and once I finish Cutting for Stone, I'll give it a read. I may be setting my hopes to high, but your review makes me think this may be as good as The Book Thief. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Les ~ The difference between Cutting for Stone and Between Shades of Gray is grand. I hope you aren't disappointed with BSoG's simpleness due to it being YA, especially after such a long book. I loved it because it moved me, and I hope it does the same for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!