Monday, June 13, 2011

THE TWO DEATHS OF DANIEL HAYES

Author:  Marcus Sakey
Genre:  Suspense, Standalone
Published:  2011
Personal Rating:  4.5/5 (excellent)
Format:  eBook - iPad
Yearly Count:  48  


From NetGalley:



A man wakes up naked and cold, half-drowned on an abandoned beach. The only sign of life for miles is an empty BMW. Inside the expensive car he finds clothes that fit perfectly, shoes for his tattered feet, a Rolex, and a bank envelope stuffed with cash and an auto registration in the name of Daniel Hayes, resident of Malibu, California.


None of it is familiar.


What is he doing here? How did he get into the ocean? Is he Daniel Hayes, and if so, why doesn't he remember? While he searches for answers, the world searches for him-beginning with the police that kick in the door of his dingy motel, with guns drawn. Lost, alone, and on the run, the man who might be Daniel Hayes flees into the night.


All he remembers is a woman's face, so he sets off for the only place he might find her. The fantasy of her becomes his home, his world, his hope. And maybe, just maybe, the way back to himself.


But that raises the most chilling question of all: What will he find when he gets there?

What a great, suspenseful read!  It was non-stop from the very first page, and I really enjoyed it.  There is a script type format interspersed throughout (nothing overwhelming) that added a different aspect to the storytelling that I enjoyed.  I wasn't sure at first, but quickly came to appreciate the scenes.  

It was very interesting and exciting to be with Daniel as his memory very slowly returned. Wondering if he was on the right track or thinking clearly was always in the back of my mind, which really created that on-the-edge-of-your-seat feeling.  There were numerous twists and turns that kept that suspense high throughout the book.

There were a few scenes that were a little much, but nothing really crazy.  And, I didn't care for the final chapter all that much.  It made a huge jolt in my reading.  I'm cruising along and then I became confused.  I don't like to be confused.  So it didn't necessarily end on a great note, but I loved the process of getting there.   





My thanks go Penguin Group and NetGalley for sending me this eGalley.

7 comments:

  1. I love a good page turner, so I'll have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ Oh and a page-turner it is!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. With such a high rating from you I must add this to my list..sounds riveting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like one I might enjoy. I love a good thriller and I'm long overdue to read one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Staci ~ "Riveting" great word choice!

    Les ~ It's oozing suspense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. I was with you until the jolt at the end. I hate that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stacybuckeye ~ I don't know if others have had the same jolting experience as I did. It could have been just a me thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!