Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A TRICK OF THE LIGHT

Author: Louise Penny
Genre: Mystery,  Armand Gamache #7
Published: 2011
Personal Rating: 3.75/5 (good +)
Format: Audiobook
Yearly Count:  85


The morning after Clara's solo art show and subsequent reception at her home, a body is found in her garden. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache is there to investigate.

I can't quite say this was "very good," but I definitely enjoyed it. I especially liked going back to the audio version. (I listened to the first four, then received ARCs for the next two and didn't enjoy them as much.) The characters are so alive in the audio and are what I like most about the series, but I do enjoy the mystery aspect and subtle humor, as well.  Even though I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with the cast of characters of Three Pines, I found that the mystery didn't interest me as much this time around.  However, there are some story lines that have been set up for the next book, and I'm curious as to where they are going to go.

6 comments:

  1. Penny is one of many authors I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ She's quite the popular author now! You can always count on at least a good, solid read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:38 PM

    Joy, I agree that the mystery was not quite so intricate in this one, but I loved it. I felt that Louise put a lot of herself and her own journey through life into the book. I'm so invested in these characters and I know that I will always read the books because I NEED to know what will happen to them. Lots of threads to unravel about characters in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay ~ It's so nice to see you. :) I haven't reached the "need" status for this series, but I always look forward to her books. I'd consider it more of a strong want. I feel the "need" with Maisie Dobbs, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As soon as I'm caught up with Maisie, I'll start listening to this series. I read the first when it first came out and enjoyed it, but didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Les ~ This is definitely a good series. I have really enjoyed it, but like you said - I haven't loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!