Saturday, October 22, 2011

CHILDREN OF THE STREET

Author:  Kwei Quartey
Genre:  Mystery, Darko Dawson Series #2
Published:  2011
Personal Rating:  4.5/5 (excellent)
Format:  eBook
Yearly Count:  88


From NetGalley:

In the slums of Accra, Ghana’s fast-moving, cosmopolitan capital, teenagers are turning up dead. Inspector Darko Dawson has seen many crimes, but this latest string of murders—in which all the young victims bear a chilling signature—is the most unsettling of his career. Are these heinous acts a form of ritual killing or the work of a lone, cold-blooded monster? With time running out, Dawson embarks on a harrowing journey through the city’s underbelly and confronts the brutal world of the urban poor, where street children are forced to fight for their very survival—and a cunning killer seems just out of reach.

This is quickly becoming a favorite series of mine.  I have rated the first and second better than very good and really look forward to the next.  The plots are not necessarily fast-paced, but move along steadily and have many facets.

I'm intrigued with all the aspects of this series:  the environment in which Dawson lives and works, his family life and his career.  I think Dawson is a terrific character.  He is not without flaws, but they are not absolutely outrageous.  His cases have taken me into some dark and unique places that I wouldn't visit otherwise.  And, one of the best feelings a reader can experience, I have been captivated every time I pick up the book.  I think Kwei Quartey is a superb storyteller.    





My thanks go to Random House Publishing Group and NetGalley for sending me this eGalley.  I have enjoyed this series so much that I have bought both books for my personal library collection.

7 comments:

  1. Yay! me too. I feel like we have this secret little discovery of a wonderful series. I try to push the book whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raidergirl3 ~ This one ended with such an interesting twist, didn't it? I can't wait to see what happens. I'm going to come by to see what you had to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never did get a review written! It was during the summer, and one of my blogging goals was not to feel guilty if I didn't write reviews, and not to feel like I have to write reviews for every book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:24 PM

    I liked the first one very much and look forward to this one. Such an interesting setting. We used to have friends who lived in Ghana and my parents visited there. Truly a different world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your enthusiasm has made me add this series to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm..I think I saw this one on NetGalley and almost requested it. If you rated it so high then it has to be one that I should read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raidergirl3 ~ I noticed that! But, good for you for following through with your blogging goals. :) I'm so glad you commented!

    Kay ~ I almost gave this one a 4.25 like I did the first (better than very good, but not necessarily excellent), but the ending gave my emotions the push I needed. And, yes, a different world indeed! I know you'll like this one, too.

    Bermudaonion ~ The mystery is what drives the book, but the storytelling carries it.

    Staci ~ Yep! It was there! This is the second in the series, so it's easy to catch up. I hope you give it a try. Dawson is a much better character than Kubu. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!