Tuesday, November 08, 2011

THE MURDER OF THE CENTURY

Author: Paul Collins
Genre: True-Crime, Standalone
Published: 2011
Personal Rating: 3.25/5 (just okay +)
Format: Audiobook
Yearly Count:  94


Parts of a body are discovered which trigger questions like:  Who is it?  What happened to the rest of body?  How did it get where it was found? and Who did this?  The answers to those questions and many more are what the author sets out to divulge in the rest of the book.

I loved the bits and pieces of history that were scattered throughout, in addition to the 1890s timeframe, but overall, I didn't really like it.  There were just too many characters mentioned (and oodles of details) without really getting to know them; hence, no real connection to anybody.  I also wasn't all that intrigued with the journalism wars.  The mystery and courtroom activity were what kept me interested.

6 comments:

  1. I think the things you didn't like about it would deter me as well.

    Thanks for the review!

    Cindy at Cindy's Book Club

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy Swanson ~ You can tell that lots of research went into this book and it's appreciated, but character connection in one form or another is important to readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to admit that your first paragraph has me intrigued. Is it focused on just one crime or wave of them?

    But I agree--too many details can be tough for me, especially on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trish ~ The focus is on just the one crime. There were some great historical tidbits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:07 AM

    Like Trish, I thought this sounded interesting. But I appreciate the fact that I don't need to add it to my ever expanding wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacybuckeye ~ Oh yes, I understand that mentality. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!