Monday, November 07, 2011

WONDERSTRUCK

Author: Brian Selznick
Genre: Children's Fiction GN, Standalone
Published: 2011
Personal Rating: 3.5/5 (good)
Format: Book
Yearly Count:  93


A little boy seeks out his father, and a little girl seeks out the actress in her detailed scrapbook.  Their individual stories are told in words and pictures, respectfully, yet 50 years apart.  Ultimately, they blend together in a gentle way. 

There was nothing I disliked about this book. I actually really enjoyed my purposeful, slow read/perusal, but I didn't think it was excellent like the majority of readers are proclaiming. I didn't think his illustrations were as special as his last book (redundant, too) and the story, while still interesting, was not as compelling. It's another great choice for reluctant readers, but ultimately I was not wonderstruck.


6 comments:

  1. I loved it, but I haven't read his first book, so I wasn't comparing it to anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ Ohhh, you are going to find more love for the Hugo book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Hugo, but really have no interest in this one. I'm considering sending Hugo to my 9-year-old granddaughter. I thought she might enjoy it, especially if she winds up seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les ~ Knowing that it would be a quick read, I went for it. I knew nothing of the storyline prior to reading it, but probably would have given it a go anyway just out of curiosity even if I had known.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Hugo and have a copy of this from school that I'm going to bring home over the holidays. I love Selznick though and his illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Staci ~ I'm looking forward to seeing the movie Hugo. That was a fascinating book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!