Friday, November 18, 2011

THE SISTERS BROTHERS

Author:  Patrick DeWitt
Genre:  Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2011
Personal Rating:  3/5 (just okay)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count:  97


During the 1850s, Eli and Charlie Sisters have been contracted to kill Hermann Warm.  This unsavory job takes them from Oregon City, Oregon to Sacramento, California, and they discover more about themselves during their trek.

Westerns aren't my genre of choice, but thought I'd give this highly acclaimed book a chance.  The good news is that I found it to be more interesting than the last western I read (here), but it definitely hasn't inspired me to read any more.  However, I do still want to finish Lonesome Dove that I started years ago (and was enjoying), but I'd have to start from the beginning again, and that's a big deterrent.

My dislike for this book had nothing to do with the writing; it mainly was the general western lifestyle and attitude.  The actual story contained little bits of everything from serious to darkly humorous events.  (I recognized that certain scenes were supposed to be funny, but I did not crack a smile.  It just wasn't my type of humor.)  And, it had its moments of gore (some animal cruelty, too).  So for me, it was just okay, but I can understand why others may have enjoyed it more.  

  

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I've ever read a western. I'm drawn to the cover of this book for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review! I've been looking forward to reading this book. Since I'm a fan of the genre, I might like it more than you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I might read this, but the more reviews I read, the less I think it would be one I'd enjoy:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bermudaonion ~ I've read two now (and a bit of Lonesome Dove), so I know that I'm not too keen on reading more.

    Donovan Richards ~ My guess is that yes, you'll like it more than I did. :)

    Diane ~ If you already sense that, I wouldn't waste my time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never even heard of this one. Not sure it's my type of book but with your low rating I'm moving on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Staci ~ You are a wise woman. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!